New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Third Apple flagship store in NYC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DSCole312

DSCole312 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Current iPhone and iPod owner, Future Mac Owner

Apple is in the process of building a massive 32,000 square-foot flagship store on 14th Street and 9th Avenue in Manhattan's Meatpacking District, in addition to the two huge stores (SoHo and 5th Avenue) already open in the city. Apparently they've already begun hiring for the new location, but does anybody know an official grand opening date? Presumably it would be in time for the holiday shopping season.

Inquiring minds want to know....
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

honestly, they need it. i was in 5th and it was crazypacked
QUOTE Thanks
DSCole312

I work two blocks away from the 5th Avenue store, and often wander around in there on my lunch break to lust over all the pretty toys (FAO Schwarz upstairs for the kids toys, Apple downstairs for the adult toys.)

Funny thing is, I was in there last night and their internet connection apparently went down.... About half the people in the store ended up leaving within five minutes!

My roommate actually just got a part-time job there, and I'm tempted to do likewise. Some extra holiday cash and an employee discount certainly wouldn't suck.
QUOTE Thanks
caloge

caloge can only hope to improve

what is the discount like?? Is it any good?
QUOTE Thanks
DSCole312

I read somewhere that store employees get a 25% discount on one new computer system per year, three additional items per year at a 15% discount, and an unlimited 10% discount on everything else. Or something like that.... Don't quote me.
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCole312 View Post
I work two blocks away from the 5th Avenue store, and often wander around in there on my lunch break to lust over all the pretty toys (FAO Schwarz upstairs for the kids toys, Apple downstairs for the adult toys.)

Funny thing is, I was in there last night and their internet connection apparently went down.... About half the people in the store ended up leaving within five minutes!

My roommate actually just got a part-time job there, and I'm tempted to do likewise. Some extra holiday cash and an employee discount certainly wouldn't suck.
i still love going to the giant car section, even though im 15
QUOTE Thanks
DSCole312

Update: I just stopped in the Fifth Avenue store on my lunch break, and asked an employee about when the 14th Street store would be open. In typical Apple fashion they're being coy about the grand opening date, but he said to expect a public announcement sometime around the end of October.
QUOTE Thanks
Actingrude

Actingrude is on a distinguished road

MY understanding of the discount is that the emplyees (depening on level) get a 10% discount on everything 25% on any computer system OR display once a year after having worked there for a full 12months... but other benafits... The store near us, everyemplyee was given an Iphone, and paid compensation for switching to cingular(the new att)
plus they get first dibs on items (no lines) though this would only be applicable for things like iphone where it was avalible in stores for purchase and shiping was post payment online.
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

that's gonna be on the north end of Greenwich village, right?
QUOTE Thanks
DSCole312

Northwest corner of 14th Street and 9th Avenue. I took a walk around there a few nights ago, and although the building was shrouded in netting, you can still see inside the space at night. It looks like most of the interior of the building has been gutted, but they haven't begun building the new space yet. However, I was there at around 10 PM and there were still workers on the site, so Apple is obviously pushing an aggressive construction schedule (and no doubt paying through the nose for all that union overtime).

There was no indication anywhere on the building that Apple is the new tenant (save for the huge iPod billboard above the roof, which I assume will be removed at some point), but it's worth noting that Shawmut Construction is doing the construction. They're the same general contractor who built the SoHo and Fifth Avenue stores, and by all accounts they do very good work.

I judge you when you use bad grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
DSCole312

It's official: Friday, December 7th, at 6:00 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

why is apple obsessed with 6:00pm?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hmm

Very good question.

'Cuz they just finished dinner? 'Cuz even vampires can go out shopping at that time in winter (sun is down)? 'Cuz they wanna catch people before they go out dancing?

'Cuz... 'Cuz... I dunno.
QUOTE Thanks
WizWoz

WizWoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCole312 View Post
Pearl Harbor Day?

If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What are you watching right now? | HTC Touch.Should I ? »