New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I'm Switching..Back to Linux.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macmini3399

macmini3399 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz

Well I've had a good run with Mac, bought my Mini May '06 and iBook afterwards. I have dabbled in cocoa and released a short lived application. I did a youtube video or two and wrote various reports for school. Now I decided I need to go back to Linux. I miss it. I was a C/C++/Perl programmer in linux and I feel that is what I am ment to be. I will be making a thread for selling my Mac Mini here shortly
I will still hang around the forum some.
Bye for now,
Colton Booth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
My wife's switching.... she just doesn't know it yet
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well you gave it a good run, not everyone likes Macs, it's understandable.
QUOTE Thanks
bittenapple

bittenapple is on a distinguished road

I think Mac is more like set computer but you are looking for opensource OS and system then go Linux yes. Its all good and well...but not interested in Mini sorry
QUOTE Thanks
raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

linux is weird dude, ive tried it. is there any way i can see linux better, like a comparison to pc or sumthin
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

you can alway run linux on a mac with either bootcamp or parallels. also remember linux is based in unix just like mac.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I understand how you feel. I used Linux for five years before coming over to Mac. If something happened where my Mac died and I could not get another (money) I would go back to Linux immediately. At least until I could afford another Mac. Which distro are you going to use?
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
you can alway run linux on a mac with either bootcamp or parallels. also remember linux is based in unix just like OS X.
Apple computers, Macs, are based on Intel processors.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
bittenapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Apple computers, Macs, are based on Intel processors.
You are aware of the difference between hardware and software yeah? Because what you posted had nothing to do with the topic.

Well, also people who call Windows systems PC, stop it! Every computer is PC...Mac's a PC as well!...Only their OS are different.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenapple View Post
You are aware of the difference between hardware and software yeah? Because what you posted had nothing to do with the topic.

Well, also people who call Windows systems PC, stop it! Every computer is PC...Mac's a PC as well!...Only their OS are different.
apparently, you didn't see his quote that I edited.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
bittenapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
apparently, you didn't see his quote that I edited.
I thought he was just pointing out the fact that both OSX and Linux are Unix OSes...whatelese is there that I missed?

However, you out of nowhere mentioned that Mac's are intel...I am confused.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Good luck man, Linux is hard to leave behind (harder than XP IMO) so I understand. I run SuSE in Parallels and fiddle about with things now and again.

I do love the rock solid stability OS X gives me though, mainly because I have no desire to tinker with it. Linux is too tinkerable and I am not skilled enough to prevent major carnage when I tinker...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Good luck. Macs are a great environment but so is Linux. It really depends on what you want to be doing. For what you want to be doing, perhaps Linux is better. We are glad to joined us here at Mac Forums and feel free to remain an active member of the community!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Original quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
you can alway run linux on a mac with either bootcamp or parallels. also remember linux is based in unix just like mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenapple View Post
I thought he was just pointing out the fact that both OSX and Linux are Unix OSes...whatelese is there that I missed?

However, you out of nowhere mentioned that Mac's are intel...I am confused.
mac is a type of computer made by Apple. I was just pointing out that "linux is based in unix just like" OS X.

If we correct them now, they will know better later on.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

Quote:
I was just pointing out that "linux is based in unix just like" OS X
I was the one who said that :/
QUOTE Thanks
macmini3399

macmini3399 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
I understand how you feel. I used Linux for five years before coming over to Mac. If something happened where my Mac died and I could not get another (money) I would go back to Linux immediately. At least until I could afford another Mac. Which distro are you going to use?
I'm Going to use my distro of choice, Slackware(Though it has changed since I used it last, 10.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
My wife's switching.... she just doesn't know it yet
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Myspace Band Page | Vector Tower Defense »