New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Wndows user needs help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monsterfilmer

Hi, I'm an XP/ vaio user(don't shoot me)

I have written a small script into my website that detects mac users and alerts them that they need Windows Media Player to view my videos. Since I'm a PC person(please don't kill me) I have no way of testing to see if it works properly.

I really don't know any mac users so I googled "mac forums" and you fine folks popped up.

I would very grateful if just one of you could help me out. All you have to do is click this LINK

http://www.monsterfilmer.com/films2.htm

Thanks a bunch.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Yes, the dialog popped up. [Using Safari under OS X 10.2]

Keep in mind, though, that many Mac users hate Microsoft for religious reasons. Many more are just lazy. Which means that, when confronted with the choice between installing WMP or not viewing your videos, many Mac people will just not bother.

If you really, really want to attract a Mac audience, export a version in QuickTime. (Or MPEG, for that matter, which QuickTime will play)
QUOTE Thanks
monsterfilmer

Thanks for the reply.

I think you guys are just paranoid. :p
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

No really, it's that UBER cool Apple logo thing, really, have a look at one! :p
QUOTE Thanks
monsterfilmer

Ooohh Macs are shiny.. :eek: must. get. shiny. computer. :eek:

If macs supported sony vegas, I'd probably get one. But they don't so I won't. :p Too bad, too. Cause I'm looking to get a laptop.

I have a serious question. What makes a mac better than a PC? I have known people that have had nothing but problems with their macs. They say they're slow and crash a lot. My first hand accounts directly contradict the "switch" commercials. I've heard people that love their macs say that it's smooth and applications open really fast. Well, so do my PC apps. Some people leave programs running in the background to make them start faster.. but not me. I click the icon and in less than two blinks, it's open. Adobe after effects takes about 5 secs to open. (and that's a huge program)

The best thing I've ascertained from what I've heard and read is that they run smooth(so does my PC) but best of all, they have slim chance of getting a virus. I can only imagine how much faster my PC would be if I didn't have to run 5 apps in the background as firewall and antivirus.

So, seriously, what are the advantages of a mac?(and don't say anything about evil empires cause steve jobs was the bad guy first)
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

The main advantage is the lack of exposure to virus/worm problems. On a Mac, you don't need to run a virus scan (unless networking to windows pcs) or the spyware hunter killers. Maintained Macs don't crash, and memory mangaged such that individual apps may crash without affecting the rest of the system. Also no constant re booting, sleep actually works on Mac. Also has it's own superb native firewall
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Not commenting... not commenting...

Script works fine on Safari 1.2 on Mac OS X 10.3.4.
QUOTE Thanks
monsterfilmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
The main advantage is the lack of exposure to virus/worm problems. On a Mac, you don't need to run a virus scan (unless networking to windows pcs) or the spyware hunter killers. Maintained Macs don't crash, and memory mangaged such that individual apps may crash without affecting the rest of the system. Also no constant re booting, sleep actually works on Mac. Also has it's own superb native firewall

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I also hear macs are good with linear video editing.. but I've never tried it. I have no complaints about my PC. I think windows has a stigma attached to it because of stupid users. As you said with macs, maintained PCs don't crash either. At least not in my experience.

I've never used the hybernate feature on any of my PCs. I really don't see the use for it.

Anyone looking at a screenshot of my pc would think it's a mac.(kinda) lol I have a brushed steel skin with an object dock(i don't know what it's called on a mac) with crystalized icons and no desktop icons.

www.monsterfilmer.com/desktop.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

MonsterFilmer, I have only one question for you. YOU USE LINEAR EDITING!!!! Not unless you had a typo, Im appaled. I use only Non LINEAR DV Editing Systems. But moving on with that. To answer somewhat of your question, the Mac is the way to go for DV. I mean right now I have to use Premiere Pro cuz my Mac is messed up and my G5 hasnt come yet :mad: . But Final Cut Pro HD is one of the best Non Linear DV Editing Software systems out there. Keyframes, Alpha Channels, LiveType, RT Extreme. It has everything. If I were you, I would buy a G5, a HD Camcorder(JVC) and one of the Apple 30" HD Displays. Just remember, you need the special Nvidia card for the 30" display. Hopfully, you think this over and if you ever switch, the Mac DV Community will be happy because we will have a new Switcher and they have found the Joy of owning a Mac, TO EDIT!
QUOTE Thanks
monsterfilmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beret9987
MonsterFilmer, I have only one question for you. YOU USE LINEAR EDITING!!!!
woops. Yeah, I meant NLE.

You use premiere?? I'm appalled. :p I'm a vegas man. Believe it or not, it is better than premiere, IMO. I'm not learning fx editing and I have no desire to do digital effects. The stuff I do with color and timing can all be done perfectly on my vaio.

The antiquated notion that PCs are slow and crash too much no longer applies to high end consumer PCs. I've read a lot of articles that compare vegas 4.0 with FC pro. I was shocked to hear there really is little comparison. Now I use vegas 5.0 which has new support for HD. HD may be in my future but right now I'm focusing more on learning and doing silly little stuff than actually staging anything that would merit the purchase of HD equipment.

Alls I need is a good video card and a couple monitors and I'll be set.(for now) :p

Cool to meet another editor, though.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterfilmer
Anyone looking at a screenshot of my pc would think it's a mac.(kinda) lol I have a brushed steel skin with an object dock(i don't know what it's called on a mac) with crystalized icons and no desktop icons.

www.monsterfilmer.com/desktop.jpg
Wow! Thats sweet! Nice Job
QUOTE Thanks
markceltic

My local guru says if anybody has to get a pc it should be the sony vaio line!I can appreciate the quality of sony's gear,I came oh so close to buying one of their camcorders, but I went with the canon in the end.I can't be objective between the mac & pc since I've only used a mac.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

It may be worth noting that Mac and pc usually is a Mac vs windows, but pc (like mine) can happily run Linux or a BSD too
QUOTE Thanks
The Saab Pimp

it's all an opinion. to windows users, windows is better, to mac users, macs are better. there are inherit pros and cons to each platform, but basically it's all an opinion. like religions. no one religion is necessarily "better" than the next, but whichever one you grow up with is probably the one you stick with.
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

Very True indeed. That is why I own both of them. They both get the job done and my PC never crashes for some reason(Maybe because I keep it clean) and I keep it updated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Apple Go Under? | Pro Mac Movement(PMM) »