New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Life is so unfair

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

My freelance business is the main form of income for me and my daughter... My wife has been gone for 1 yr now from an illness, so its been tough..... Well to make life even harder, I get home yesterday and I notice water on the floor of my apartment, I then notice plaster chunks everywhere.... Well to make a long depressing story short, the apartment above ours had a major leak and water and plaster poured right on my IMAC... Its now ruined, the people above me have no renters insurance, and neither do I....
Life can be really unfair sometimes..... I now have my only way of income trashed, customers will be breathing down my neck anyday now, and no chance of replacing my computer anytime soon... I just wanted to see if writing this would help me vent... Thanks for listening...
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Sorry to hear the macjuicy...

The apartment complex it self is insured... and would cover the damages... Find out what happened... if (and my guess is that this would be the case) the actual complex is liable, tell them you need the mac replaced immediately, so to not incur any lack of income. Depending on their reply to this request, you may want to contact a lawyer.
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

Im actually looking into that.... fingers crossed
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
Im actually looking into that.... fingers crossed
Good luck. I hope it all works out for you. Like was said, the owners of the Apartment should be responsible and cover your loss since it's not your fault at all, but something in the building itself.
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

The thing is they are saying that they left a tub water running ad it overflowed, which makes them responsible... I cant afford a lawyer so its a longshot
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

btw sorry guys im on a terrible PC laptop LOL sorry to the MAC gods
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I believe your upstairs neighbor is responsible. I would be knocking on their door. Get a lawyer. There is no reason you should be without your computer because they were irresponsible.

If I was the one who left my tub turned on, I would want to take responsibility for what I did. It's the right thing to do.

Find a lawyer that won't take any money unless they make a recovery for you. A lawyer should want to take this case. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I don't the apartment complex and be found liable. Even if your neighbors don't have insurance, they're still financially responsible. If I did that to someone, I would feel responsible and pay for damages, but not everyone is that way (and I have renter's insurance to cover me). You should go to the neighbors and tell them they are responsible and need to compensate for the damages. If they don't take them to court.

In the mean time, maintaining your business is priority one, otherwise you won't have a business any more. Go out and get another (cheap) computer, ASAP. If you used Mac-only software, go pick up a low-end Mini and use a credit card. It's better to have some credit card debt than no income.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
jimhoff

jimhoff is on a distinguished road

Did you try to disassemble, clean, dry, reassemble to recover you computer?

1991 - Mac Classic
1995 to 2007 - Windows
2007 - Macbook
2009 - Macbook Pro 13
QUOTE Thanks
iNick

iNick is on a distinguished road

ebay?
QUOTE Thanks
papercut

papercut will become famous soon enough

I can't tell from your avatar or profile where you're from... but you might want to try Small Claims court if your losses aren't too significant. That can be a do-it-yourself option unless your claim exceeds the limit of the court. I think those limits vary by state (maybe even by county). It may be worth a call to the local courthouse.

papercut
--
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

That's rough. Sorry to hear about it and hope everything works out for you..

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
rescue951

rescue951 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 1.83 white

Small claims court!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't find a desk I like...need suggestions plz. | Apple Order Time »