New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

For console gaming: TV or Monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hobs707

hobs707 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic

Alright, my tv has been dead for a month and I'm really needing some violent video games. I'm researching 20-26 inch LCD HD tv's for my room. (it's a small room, so i'm ok with the small screen)

I've found the prices for TV's range from 370-600 for the size i'm looking for. But then I checked out some Dell monitors and found a nice 22 inch for 249. I would be able hook my 360 up to it fine.

Are there any drawbacks to using a monitor instead of a tv? Or is it really as good as it sounds?
QUOTE Thanks
GarlandM

GarlandM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.16ghz-2GB-160GB-SuperDrive| Video Ipod: 60gb Black| Nano: 4gb Red

I use my dell 20 inch WS for my 360, just have to buy the VGA cable for the 360, not a problem was like 30 bucks if I remember. It looks great, and I can just switch with a few clicks on the monitor to VGA --> DVI for my computer. Win Win Situation.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

I am in the same boat but I am looking for a decent TV 200-400 range for my dorm that i can game on and run my macbook into (any ideas?)

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
GarlandM

Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.16ghz-2GB-160GB-SuperDrive| Video Ipod: 60gb Black| Nano: 4gb Red

Well like I said, I use my dell. 2007WFP http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-4688

I got mine when it was on sale, and threw small business. I think I paid like 360 something.
QUOTE Thanks
hobs707

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
I am in the same boat but I am looking for a decent TV 200-400 range for my dorm that i can game on and run my macbook into (any ideas?)
i'm thinking of getting this 22 inch dell monitor. its only 269

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...~ck=TopSellers
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobs707 View Post
i'm thinking of getting this 22 inch dell monitor. its only 269

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...~ck=TopSellers
im also looking for a TV to actually watch TV on too :-P

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

I have a SyncMaster 711MP from Samsung LCD, but it stinks with a PS2 connected to it, bad quality (it's a tv and pc screen in 1) so I would rather go, with this experience, for a nice flatscreen tv

And as final touch,God created the Dutch!
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

It basically comes down to how much cash you're willing to for out for a display.

If you get a big monitor, you'll need the VGA cable, which will enable you to play games in HD, which is what I do now on my 22" LG Flatron.

Or if you got an LCD/Plasma TV, it would still be running in HD either via component or VGA.

Typically, larger screen sizes in TV's are cheaper than a computer monitor.

The only drawback from using a monitor that I've come across, was the audio. With a TV, you'd put the red/white to it and the sound would come out of the speakers on the TV. With a monitor, it typically won't have speakers built in.

So what I did was, purchased an RCA>5.1 (1/8") "video game console adapter" made by Logitech. It allows me to connect the red/white RCA cables, to black/orange/green 1/8" jacks to use computer speakres for surround sound. I find this amazing sounding, as I can just crank the volume when playing on Xbox Live
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

Or just buy a monitor with sounds build in,
or plug it in on your stereo

And as final touch,God created the Dutch!
QUOTE Thanks
GarlandM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x0r View Post
It basically comes down to how much cash you're willing to for out for a display.

If you get a big monitor, you'll need the VGA cable, which will enable you to play games in HD, which is what I do now on my 22" LG Flatron.

Or if you got an LCD/Plasma TV, it would still be running in HD either via component or VGA.

Typically, larger screen sizes in TV's are cheaper than a computer monitor.

The only drawback from using a monitor that I've come across, was the audio. With a TV, you'd put the red/white to it and the sound would come out of the speakers on the TV. With a monitor, it typically won't have speakers built in.

So what I did was, purchased an RCA>5.1 (1/8") "video game console adapter" made by Logitech. It allows me to connect the red/white RCA cables, to black/orange/green 1/8" jacks to use computer speakres for surround sound. I find this amazing sounding, as I can just crank the volume when playing on Xbox Live
Exactly what I did, I was lucky my surround sound came with that exact adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
hobs707

Ok so say I get a monitor. How do i connect the sound? I have a stereo I could use, but I don't know how to connect it or anything...
QUOTE Thanks
GarlandM

Quote:
Ok so say I get a monitor. How do i connect the sound? I have a stereo I could use, but I don't know how to connect it or anything...
Does the stereo have Audio inputs in the back (Most of the time their are Red and White) if so, you plug your xbox/ps3/wii or some other systems Audio cables into that, and the VGA adapter that you bought into the monitor.

(Yes my room is dirty)

QUOTE Thanks
hobs707

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlandM View Post
Does the stereo have Audio inputs in the back (Most of the time their are Red and White) if so, you plug your xbox/ps3/wii or some other systems Audio cables into that, and the VGA adapter that you bought into the monitor.

(Yes my room is dirty)

Ah yeah it does have that. Thanks. Hey are you holding two seperate cables? I'm going to buy the VGA adapter for 360 to plug into the monitor, does that have audio cables built into it or is that seperate?
QUOTE Thanks
skye

okay, i am a newb to this, if i bought that monitor, what else would i need to beable to watch TV on it? what adapters would i need for tv, sound, dvd's and my macbook?

QUOTE Thanks
GarlandM

Quote:
Ah yeah it does have that. Thanks. Hey are you holding two seperate cables? I'm going to buy the VGA adapter for 360 to plug into the monitor, does that have audio cables built into it or is that seperate?
One cable, both ends. Yes it has the audio cables built into it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Put Your Hands Together for ROCKY :D | Oink »