New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

4 Die in helicopter collision during police chase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19999896/

So apperently some one wasn't looking where they were going and two news choppers collided in mid air, causing both to crash and kill all four occupants.

The controversy: Authorities are saying that the suspect's choice to flee caused the deaths of the 4 people in the choppers and will probably be charged with their murder.

Do you think this is right or wrong?

My view is that one of the two chopper pilot's inattentiveness contributed directly to the crash and the suspect is not responsible for their death. This could have happened at any time and they're just looking to peg this guy with anything they can. I'm not saying he was running from the cops, but they had 3 or more helicopters in a small airspace trying to cover this story. If safety procedures and guide lines would have been in place about helicopters and spacing and what not, this could have totally been avoided and if they want to press criminal charges, they should go for the people that authorized the helicopters to be in the same airspace...

my $.02

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you VI. They're just looking to blame someone and unfortunately, it's the suspect of the high speed chase.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

They're just trying to nail him with anything they can. They don't have anything to give him a murder charge, it would likely be dismissed by the judge.

However if they can prove that one of the reasons he ran from the cops was that he wanted to be on TV then they MIGHT have a case for Manslaughter. BIG MAYBE though...
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

In the past, if an officer was killed while pursuing a suspect and the suspect was caught, the suspect was usually charged with the officer's death...

This is like that but taking it even one step further since it's not the reporter's job to pursue a fleeing suspect. I'm not trying to detract from their death and it's sad they four people lost their lives, but in all fairness something like this could eventually lead to the following hypothetical scenario:

Say your neighbor dies of a heart attack because you're running a chainsaw in your backyard and the noise startles him. You could be charged with the death of your neighbor.

It's all about setting precedents and everyone knows what a snow ball effect is.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

no way will the charge stick.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
bcooper0125

bcooper0125 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini | 2.0GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD ||| Black MacBook | 2.16GHz C2D | 2GB RAM

Now, this is just my personal opinion, and because I am biased because I live in Phoenix, and I knew all 4 of them personally...I think the suspect should be charged with their death. The news reporters were asked by the police to help track him down. So they did. It would be the same thing as if he were to shoot them and kill them.

They were by no means inattentive, and if you were watching the live newscast when it happened, you'd know that. It all unfolded on live TV. I think this was some sort of malfunction, not their lack of attention to other things.
QUOTE Thanks
The_Mini_Rigs

The_Mini_Rigs can only hope to improve

why post something that is already bend posted !
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

I don't think he should be charged. It is the helicopter pilots' fault's alone. If the guy had shined a laser or light in the pilots eye, that would be one thing.

That's like me seeing a Ferrari driving the other way down the thruway. I turn and look and smash into another car, and kill the passengers. No way is anyone going to side with me if I tried to blame the guy driving the Ferrari, and if they did, they should be going to jail with me.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper0125 View Post
The news reporters were asked by the police to help track him down. So they did. It would be the same thing as if he were to shoot them and kill them.

Hmmmmm I'm not sure but that might have a legal effect if they were considered "deputized" However it also opens up the police to liability issues.
QUOTE Thanks
bcooper0125

bcooper0125 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini | 2.0GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD ||| Black MacBook | 2.16GHz C2D | 2GB RAM

edit: nevermind....
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcooper0125 View Post
Now, this is just my personal opinion, and because I am biased because I live in Phoenix, and I knew all 4 of them personally...I think the suspect should be charged with their death. The news reporters were asked by the police to help track him down. So they did. It would be the same thing as if he were to shoot them and kill them.

They were by no means inattentive, and if you were watching the live newscast when it happened, you'd know that. It all unfolded on live TV. I think this was some sort of malfunction, not their lack of attention to other things.
One news report on one of the big news channels (CNN, MSNBC, Fox...not sure which) said that is was because of that and that there was no apparent equipment malfunctions. They said that there may be future requirements of having a "spotter" and that if that was the case in this situation, then the crash probably wouldn't have happened.

That's were I got my info...

And if it was an equipment malfunction, then they should definitely not charge the suspect as he had nothing to do with that.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mini_Rigs View Post
why post something that is already bend posted !
Some one bent my post?

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

<ralph wiggum voice>I bent my wookie</voice>

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

WOW, that is a very disturbing accident indeed. but honestly I can't imagine the guy being convicted for it, that would be a bit insane. I agree with Village Idiot.

Yes, it is very unfortunate that this collision took place but to think of just pile charges on the guy, especially 4 murder charges, I think is over the top and there is no way that the charges would stick!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Here's why this would be bad, it would cause a precedent where reporters could charge any accident their involved in on the job to the people they're covering. I'm sure many people have seen videos of popperazi (sp?) falling over when trying to video tape or photograph celebrities. Should those celebrities be accountable for that "reporter" falling? No. And just because the person is doing something illegal doesn't change the facts of how the accident took place.

I don't care what the situation is, if someone is operating a normally operating vehicle in a normal environment (not a cop in a high spped chase or making an illegal move like running a light) and hit someone else, the operator of the vehicle is to blame. I'm very sorry the people died, but you can't shuffle around blame when it's very obvious who is at fault.

I understand the situation with police who are in accidents while in pursuit, but the pilots aren't police. And they aren't trained to pursue criminals, so if anyone other than the pilot is to shoulder some blame, it's the police for asking the pilot's assistance and asking them to put themselves in a dangerous position.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What did you name your computer? | A free one please »