New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Interview - what to wear?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Small giraffe

Small giraffe is on a distinguished road

hi all,

After much time I am back in the jobseekers position. I have an interview tomorrow with an agency, now as I haven't been to an interview in ages, thought I'd ask on here re: dress code.

My friends all work for corporate companies, and as studio's/design related jobs are much more relaxed, I was just wondering what the norm was?

Would the same dress code apply if I were going to an interview with the actual company (not the agency)?

If anyones got any views, please do tell - I'm gonna have to raid my wardrobe and find something reasonable to wear!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

When you say "agency" do you mean a head hunter or a design company? Wait, I get it now, I think, go casual/sharp with the agency. Then do a drive by on the company, hang out near the front door, take a look who is walking in. I was recently at a company where the entire design crew was in shirt and ties, the women in dresses. I am much more used to seeing Phish tee shirts and sandals...
QUOTE Thanks
VolcomLegend

VolcomLegend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac: CD 2.0GHz, 2GB, 250GB, SuperDrive, 20" MacBook: CD 2.0GHz, 1GB, 60GB, SuperDrive, White

I don't work in design but I used to work for a major telecomms company R&D department and they were all casually dressed.

Anyway... Regardless of job type, I'd always wear smart clothes for the interview stages. Nice shirt & tie, smart trousers and polished shoes. Or a suit.

My dad hires / fires a lot of people and he says to never underestimate the little things. Interviewers are often on the lookout for things and will take notice of unpolished shoes, unshaven faces and notes like 'interview 3pm' scribbled on you hand.

Wear smart for agency and potential employers, you never know what info the agency will pass on.

GOOD LUCK!!!

The packaging said 'Windows Vista or better', so I got OS X

SpecialEdition - My iWebSite
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

Just remember the interviews knows if he likes you within the first 5 seconds so say hello and your name shake a hand and go from there... oh and dont forget a nice to meet you
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Dress very nice. Slack, shirt, probably a tie... even if the actual job allows for Flip-Flops and baseball caps... for the interview DRESS VERY NICE.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Just wear professional attire and you can't go wrong. I was a hotel manager for some time and hired quite a few people. Even though we wore khakis and polo shirts, I expected people interviewing to come in with button-up shirts and ties at least. Some people didn't, and those interviews didn't last long.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
Dress very nice. Slack, shirt, probably a tie... even if the actual job allows for Flip-Flops and baseball caps... for the interview DRESS VERY NICE.
Exactly!
QUOTE Thanks
Small giraffe

Small giraffe is on a distinguished road

Sorry I meant a recuitment agency. Obv if its a proper company interview, I'll dress smartish.

altho I do remember a while back an agency telling one of my colleagues to dress 'funky' whatever that means! I suppose to give off your creative vibe?
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small giraffe View Post
altho I do remember a while back an agency telling one of my colleagues to dress 'funky' whatever that means! I suppose to give off your creative vibe?
Yup, get a fresh lip piercing!
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Hahaha,

I have both sides of my lip pierced. It's a good idea to take jewelry out, or wear retainers. But I usually take it out because some times retainers can be seen "sparkling" under florescent lights.

I have an interview at an IT firm Friday, I'm wearing nice slacks, like dockers, with an button up collar shirt, normal dressy looking shirt, tie, and a suit jacket. You want to look as professional as possible.

I hate it, because I'm really laid back, and I'm a quiet person, so it makes me look very nervous and on edge. I think you should be good though. Just look nice and speak well.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Look the part.
If someone is looking to hire a professional... you should look...

But, you can never be too dressed up. At least, that's what I've been told.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

If it's a design job at an agency, you'll look a real idiot if you're overdressed! In general, you can never be overdressed, it's true... except for a design job.

They want to know if you'll fit in and if you're overdressed then they'll think you don't actually know what kind of company they are and have only ever worked for stuffy corporate companies in the past.

Wear nice trousers (not from a suit), a long sleeved shirt with no tie and shoes.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Agreed. You generally want to dress in the manner that those who are interviewing you do. To casual and you look like a slob, to dressy and you make them look like slobs. Contrary to what has been said, after 20+ years in the business world, you can be overdressed.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drew Carey is the New Host of "The Price is Right" | The Sport Thread »