New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

The French will never forget

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I was wondering if anybody saw this:

http://www.consulfrance-atlanta.org/...d_article=1126

http://www.ambafrance-us.org/news/st...beach_2007.asp

http://www.thefrenchwillneverforget.com

Thousands of French people gathered on Omaha Beach on July 4th to spell out the words, "France will never forget" in memorial to all the soldiers in WWII that helped to liberate France. It gave me goosebumps when I saw the picture and it makes me feel good to know that these people took time out of their day to simply say Thanks. I just can't believe I never saw this on the news or in the paper, why is it so hard to report on something good?
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

This renews my faith in humanity.

Anybody remember that "freedom fries" nonsense from a few years back? *shudder*

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Am sure there are many in France that "remember" the history between our 2 countries. As we should remember their support of us in our own history.

This does nothing to resolve the fact that 'those in positions of power' seemingly have forgotten this.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba View Post
I I just can't believe I never saw this on the news or in the paper, why is it so hard to report on something good?
The American press is well known worldwide for not reporting international news, and making mistakes especially with mislabeling the countries. This was reported in the UK and I even seen it mentioned on TV here in Japan very very very briefly.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have to agree - it would have been very nice to have seen this reported over here, just to let everyone know, not all the French have forgotten.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Am sure there are many in France that "remember" the history between our 2 countries. As we should remember their support of us in our own history.

This does nothing to resolve the fact that 'those in positions of power' seemingly have forgotten this.
Well said!

QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post
This renews my faith in humanity.

Anybody remember that "freedom fries" nonsense from a few years back? *shudder*
I agree with you, remain. I think that people were forgetting about the soldiers and this shows that the french people are very passionate about their country and people.

That freedom fries crap was BS. Ugh.
QUOTE Thanks
DRIAFS

DRIAFS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram

I'm really glad this organization found such creative ways to express their sentiments.

Seeing it has had a an effect on me. I didn't think so many French people remembered.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIAFS View Post
I'm really glad this organization found such creative ways to express their sentiments.

Seeing it has had a an effect on me. I didn't think so many French people remembered.
This is exactly how I felt.
QUOTE Thanks
ShutUpandColor

ShutUpandColor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD

It really is nice to know that our Grandfathers efforts are still appreciated. The same needs to be said for our own liberators who fought in 1776. Huzzah for comradery.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpandColor View Post
It really is nice to know that our Grandfathers efforts are still appreciated. The same needs to be said for our own liberators who fought in 1776. Huzzah for comradery.
Well said. Many like to knock France and think of them as the country we had to bail out in WWII, but few remember the hand they had in the revolutionary war in helping us become a nation to begin with.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
MUDCRABS

MUDCRABS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'

Viva my Renault

I dont have Attention Deficit Dis..... Hey look! A chicken!.

http://p220.ezboard.com/bmudcrabsrockpool
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Well said. Many like to knock France and think of them as the country we had to bail out in WWII, but few remember the hand they had in the revolutionary war in helping us become a nation to begin with.
Only to poke the British in the eye... but fair point.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
ssd

ssd is on a distinguished road

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Is it just Omaha beach, what about the beaches landed on by the Canadians and British (though I know our beaches were a walkover compared to Omaha)

Its too easy to knock the French, they have always had a independent streak and don't like being told what to do by others - which is admirable.

And if you are American, then you have France's help at Yorktown to thank, as well as the statue of liberty - which is also a gift from France

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Haaahhh! Look What I Just Got | Windows battered, Office flying high »