New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Employment Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

Hello I have come here to ask an important question. I currently work at a BMW dealership and was hired a few weeks ago as a lot attendant. When I was hired I was given a part time 20 hour work week, which I wanted. My pay is currently 7.50. When I was hired the min. wage was 6.25, but has been raised to 7.15. Now my 7.50 isnt so good. Also, the janitor at my dealership recently had to have surgery and left. I have now taken over for the full time janitor. The dealership raised my hours from 20 to 34. I am really working hard to keep the place clean. I really think with the new min. wage and the janitor work I should be paid more. What are your thoughts? Does the increase in min. wage, and janitor work consititute a raise for me? I wasnt hired as a janitor and I am bending backwards for the dealer. Thanks guys!

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I would have asked how much that position paid first before accepting it or at the very least if there would be an increase due to the position shift.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

You should definitely be compensated for your work. Especially if you have taken the new position and it pays more, your rates should definitely be adjusted. I've seen some cases where the adjustment doesn't go into effect until next paycheck. I would definitely look into it. Be nice, and just ask. The worst they could say is no.

QUOTE Thanks
Subwall

Subwall will become famous soon enough

By itself, the increase in the min. wage shouldn't make a difference. However, the fact that you're now doing more than you were hired to do should warrant an increase in pay, unless the going rate for a janitor there is $7.50/hr. Like someone said, just ask, the worst they can say is no (so long as you ask politely). I would explain to them that you like your job and enjoy working there, however you feel you're being shortchanged being asked to do more for the same pay.

If they say no, I'm sure there are other jobs out there that can offer you what you want.

EDIT: You said the janitor left for surgery, does this mean he'll be back at some point? It may be the case that they're anticipating his return soon and are just looking for someone to do his work for a brief period. You seem to be a prime candidate for that (part-time, willing, etc.) and it may not be their intention to pay you more since the janitor is coming back. Not necesarily fair, but it could be the case.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Regarding the Min. wage change, it doesn't affect anyone who is above the minimum wage. Everyone doesn't get a boost in regard to the minimum wage rate

As for the janitor job, you do have to be fairly compensated for your work. That doesn't necessarily mean you should get that the full-time janitor got because in addition to work performed, other things are considered in compensation such as experience, time spend in the job and so on. If the base pay for a janitor is more than $7.50, then you should get whatever it is while you're doing that work. The problem is, they may not volunteer that info and it may not be worth making a big fuss over by calling the EEOC or something.

If you honestly feel a janitorial position would be paid more than $7.50 an hour, then check into it. But something tells me that it may not be worth digging too deep. If the base pay for that job is less, they may get ticked and decide to pay you less in that position, which they can legally do as long as you're willing to do the job.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Regarding the Min. wage change, it doesn't affect anyone who is above the minimum wage. Everyone doesn't get a boost in regard to the minimum wage rate

As for the janitor job, you do have to be fairly compensated for your work. That doesn't necessarily mean you should get that the full-time janitor got because in addition to work performed, other things are considered in compensation such as experience, time spend in the job and so on. If the base pay for a janitor is more than $7.50, then you should get whatever it is while you're doing that work. The problem is, they may not volunteer that info and it may not be worth making a big fuss over by calling the EEOC or something.

If you honestly feel a janitorial position would be paid more than $7.50 an hour, then check into it. But something tells me that it may not be worth digging too deep. If the base pay for that job is less, they may get ticked and decide to pay you less in that position, which they can legally do as long as you're willing to do the job.
exactly, not trying to be rude, but I used to work at a lexus dealership as a lot attendent and YES, my job description said nothing about changing lightbulbs in the showroom, or cleaning the car wash walls, or even taking tires outside to the trash (that the techs changed, mind you)... but we (lot attendants) still did it all. A car dealership honestly couldnt function without us, sounds funny, but 100% true. What im trying to say is that even though we arent "scheduled or required" to do that, we are expected too if they want us too, thats the nature of a low paying job. A lot attendant isnt the same as, say..., a politician or something, an alright manager can find a new lot attendent in less than 24 hours, but theyll never find a new manager or salesmen that quick...

oh and, I only made 7.50 too, but if I would have worked there a LITTLE bit longer I would have made 8.00...

to the point. I dont think you should be compensated for the work nor the minimum wage increase. sorry
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

If you are temporarily working as the head janitor, you should ask for a bonus of some sort for compensation. Point out all the things you do that you are currently not being paid for.
I don't think you'd get a raise though.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Tell them that you want a promotion to parts so you can make some real money? >

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Unfortunately in the job world, you will always be expected to do things beyond your job description without extra compensation for it. That's just how it works.

If I were you, I would just leave it alone, especially since you just started there. They'd be more likely to give you a raise once you've been there awhile and have demonstrated long-term that you are worth more money.

I hire people for the company I work for and would be absolutely floored if someone came to me after working there only a few weeks and asked for a raise. That's just insane honestly.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

I think if he was permanently moved to janitorial duties then a pay adjustment would be warranted, but just doing temp duties isn't necessarily a reason for a pay change. So if you get stuck there for good, then you should ask about it....unless the janitor makes less than you....then you keep your mouth shut and hope no one notices...

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

The old janitor made more, but he was there longer.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
macismything

macismything is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlike View Post
I would have asked how much that position paid first before accepting it or at the very least if there would be an increase due to the position shift.
Good Advice
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6168 View Post
A car dealership honestly couldnt function without us, sounds funny, but 100% true. What im trying to say is that even though we arent "scheduled or required" to do that, we are expected too if they want us too, thats the nature of a low paying job.
That's the nature of high paying jobs too. Stating "It's not in my job description" is a good way to ensure you won't have to do the things you don't want to do. It's also a good way to limit any advancement and even risk your own job. There's often going to be someone who *will* do the job.

As an aside on "low paying jobs", I figure everyone has a job to do. What you said ste6168 isn't funny at all. If someone is working, then they get my respect. If they're doing a good job then they get even more respect. I started at low paying jobs, most everyone does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Unfortunately in the job world, you will always be expected to do things beyond your job description without extra compensation for it. That's just how it works.
Indeed!

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hidden sysprefs in Vista, discovered! | my old dell »