New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Vista: Getting to Know All About You

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Ballmer knows everything about you.
Quote:
Activation, Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP), Device Manager, Driver Protection, Dynamic Update, Event Viewer, File Association Web Service, Games Folder, Error Reporting for Handwriting Recognition, Input Method Editor (IME), Installation Improvement Program, Internet Printing, Internet Protocol version 6 Network Address Translation Traversal, Network Awareness (somewhat), Parental Controls, Peer Name Resolution Service, Plug and Play, Plug and Play Extensions, Program Compatibility Assistant, Program Properties—Compatibility Tab, Program Compatibility Wizard, Properties, Registration, Rights Management Services (RMS) Client, Update Root Certificates, Windows Control Panel, Windows Help, Windows Mail (only with Windows Live Mail, Hotmail, or MSN Mail) and Windows Problem Reporting are the main features and services in Windows Vista that collect and transmit user data to Microsoft.

This extensive enumeration is not a complete illustration of all the sources in Windows Vista that Microsoft uses to gather end user data. . . .
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Vista = MS evidence gathering technology at its finest.
Yes but do they know what colour under wear I'm wearing? Oh wait, I'm not so it must have been a trick question.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDDoG View Post
Vista = MS evidence gathering technology at its finest.
Yes but do they know what colour under wear I'm wearing? Oh wait, I'm not so it must have been a trick question.
Well, if you sit at the computer in your underwear and have a Web Cam hooked into the Vista machine.......
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Well, if you sit at the computer in your underwear and have a Web Cam hooked into the Vista machine.......
But he said he's not wearing any, which makes me wonder...
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

Nice. So my sister works for MS and I went to the store to pick up a copy of XP Pro. Funny thing is that they're all sold out of XP, but have TONS of Vista copies available. Pricing is nice though. The full edition XP Pro w/ SP2 is only $35. Vista Ultimate is $45.

Office Pro for mac is $65. Standard version is $45.

Oh and xbox 360 games are around $20. The thing about the store is that it's for personal use only. If you're caught selling anything, you're terminated immediately no questions asked.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotdess View Post
Funny thing is that they're all sold out of XP, but have TONS of Vista copies available.
I don't get it...
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

Well, Vista sux and XP is ok. So people don't buy Vista and bought out all of their copies of XP.

QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I've seen the webcams on Windows, and I'm not impressed. They'd probably get the color, brand, and type wrong and MS's marketing machine would end up sending Victoria's Secret ads to middle aged guys with beer-guts.

Now if Apple used iSight camera tech to gather info, I don't even want to think about the kind of spam I'd be getting. I'd probably be compelled to buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Well, Vista sux and XP is ok. So people don't buy Vista and bought out all of their copies of XP.
By that logic, OS X 10.4 is the least desirable OS that Apple has ever made since it is the only thing still on the shelves...
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

I'm just saying that it's not very popular at the MS store. That's all. :p

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

After all the negative buzz about Vista, and all of my reservations, I finally bit the bullet and tried it out. Of course, it helps that I didn't have to pay for it - my company has a volume license, despite the fact that we didn't roll it out yet.

I'm currently running it on a test machine at work. What amazes me about it is the product activation - even on corporate, volume license editions. You have to maintain a licensing server that all of your machines "check in" with on a regular basis. If you have folks who work in the field, or are off the network for extended periods of time, then you need to contact your volume licensing rep and get a special activation code.

I don't know about you, but if I were a CIO and knew that I'd have to dedicate resources to establish and maintain a licensing server, not to mention worry about how my users were using their machines - or if they might be offline for awhile, I think I'd stick with XP for as long as I could.

I can't imagine this kind of attitude toward big business customers can persist, especially if companies start taking a serious look at alternative OSes on the desktop.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotdess
Funny thing is that they're all sold out of XP, but have TONS of Vista copies available.
Hmmmmm . . . Maybe those MS employee know something . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj
I've seen the webcams on Windows, and I'm not impressed. They'd probably get the color, brand, and type wrong and MS's marketing machine would end up sending Victoria's Secret ads to middle aged guys with beer-guts.

Now if Apple used iSight camera tech to gather info, I don't even want to think about the kind of spam I'd be getting. I'd probably be compelled to buy it.
HAHAHA!! Priceless!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
alaceo

alaceo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM

Quote:
I'm just saying that it's not very popular at the MS store. That's all. :p
jotdess,
I think the point mynameis is trying to convey is that XP is sold out because MS doesn't really restock it anymore. XP is a part of their past now and they're trying to push Vista. When a copy of Vista is sold, there are dozens more in the backroom to replace it, where as when a remaining copy of XP is sold, it doesn't get replaced and it's inventory numbers dwindle. It'd be like Apple restocking Tiger months after Leopard is released. Just a waste of money.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gar!!! | Artist with a heart... »