New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

The OFFICIAL 'why do we have official threads' thread!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

What gives with all the "OFFICIAL" threads?
This is almost reaching plague level like the meaningless titled threads.

What does 'official' mean?
  • You may not start a similarly named thread (this would be like naming a new product iPop)
  • Expect this thread to reach 15 pages by week's end
  • This thread is really not official
  • 'Please click on me'
What makes a thread official?
  • It is the first thread here with it's subject matter (obviously not)
  • An official officer of Mac-Forums designated it so
  • The thread was registered at the US Patent Office
  • Permission to start the thread was given to the starter along with their Passport. Three forms of ID were required: Birth Certificate, Drivers License, and last telephone bill
  • It is a thread that is so overly-encompassing that it makes no sense as a single thread. IE: "The OFFICIAL Aplle thread!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Lots of capitals, explanation points, and misspellings in the title (see above)
Well this was fun. Back to work.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Lots of capitals, explanation points, and misspellings in the title (see above). . . .
Which title officially?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i officially did not use "official" when i named these popular threads:

Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

What song are you listening to right now?

what are you eating right now?

maybe its because official sounds/looks too much like offal (yuk).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

you lost me, brown!

eric, what's offal?

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

from m-w.com

Main Entry: of·fal
Pronunciation: 'o-f&l, 'ä-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from of off + fall
1 : the waste or by-product of a process: as a : trimmings of a hide b : the by-products of milling used especially for stock feeds c : the viscera and trimmings of a butchered animal removed in dressing : VARIETY MEAT
2 : RUBBISH

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Oh yeah! Rubbish tastes pretty offal.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

oh ho ho! that was so punny!

edit: uh, officially that is.

QUOTE Thanks
docinsano

docinsano will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram

Wow, I didn't notice how many "official" threads there were until I read this thread.

A point that I must make however is that when I look at faq's, they usually never say official. They usually will be titled something like: "Username's UNofficial subject FAQ". Just a thought.

Dr. Insano, PhD
Click, if you dare...
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I think these people should apologize to the "unit"

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
oh ho ho! that was so punny!

edit: uh, officially that is.
It was a pune, eric. So says Terry Pratchett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docinsano View Post
Wow, I didn't notice how many "official" threads there were until I read this thread.

A point that I must make however is that when I look at faq's, they usually never say official. They usually will be titled something like: "Username's UNofficial subject FAQ". Just a thought.
The real spelling for FAQ is FoAQ = Frequently (officially) Asked Questions.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

is that spelling official MHC?

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Probably not...
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

The "official" posts here are probably designated by "officials" commonly known as "administrators" or "mods."

That keeps it official you know!

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I'm guilty of creating an "official" thread. The Official "How To Transfer Your iPod or iTunes Library to Your New Mac" Thread I just did it to draw attention to it because it was targeted towards newbies who asked the same questions over and over. However, I officially created it before calling things 'official' was officially cool... or at least before I officially saw how many 'official' threads there were. Regardless, I officially apologize to the unit, there was no reason to do something as stupid as I officially have.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sign My Petition Against Windows Vista ! | Chicago Times article on "global warming" »