New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

MacBook - You're annoying.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

I'm so irritated! Try having this noise in your MacBook. Constantly, the noises are happening from the fan. Fans hum, not buzz. I took my MacBook to the Apple store, and they said "Fan noise normal." My dad picked it up so I couldn't tell them that that was bull. I lived with it for a while, then posted my original thread(see profile). My MB probably spends 95% of the time at 6200 RPM, the maximum speed. I think that my MacBook was built by that machine specifically to annoy me. So you can see the video. Would you like this? BTW, I can always hear the fan, it's loud enough for that.

My ever so annoying MB
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You should get your hands on Fan Control. I noticed my fan kicking in for no good reason, but after I installed Fan Control and manually set the options, it hasn't been a problem. Combined with CoreDuo Temp, I've found a sweet spot where the laptop stays cool and quiet at the same time

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice

Sorry Kash, but the thing is - it's always noticeable. It doesn't matter whether it's at 1800 or 6200 - I can ALWAYS hear it. The noise isn't right, don't you realize that? Fans hum. Not BUZZZ.
QUOTE Thanks
PinkLemonade

PinkLemonade has a spectacular aura about

I always notice my mini's fans too- you should be able to notice them. If you don't hear them, they aren't running, which (usually) isn't a good thing.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Especially at the lower RPM's that noise just sounds wrong to me. I have never owned a MacBook but it does sound like a Buzz and not a normal fan. My opinion anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade View Post
I always notice my mini's fans too- you should be able to notice them. If you don't hear them, they aren't running, which (usually) isn't a good thing.
PL, the Apple Tech I called and directed to the video said that that will happen if I don't get them fixed. The fans will stop working, and I simply don't want to see what happens when that starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Especially at the lower RPM's that noise just sounds wrong to me. I have never owned a MacBook but it does sound like a Buzz and not a normal fan. My opinion anyway.
Other than PL, you're the first to get why i am REALLY concerned.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I have to dissent regarding Fan Control. Maybe there's just something wrong with my MBP, but my fans will run extremely fast for no reason also. Even if it's just sitting there, doing nothing with maybe a Word document open, they will just be humming. I installed fan control and set it. Guess what, it's says the fans are only at around like 1,000 when they are obviously hitting in the range of 3,000 or basically as fast as I've ever heard them run.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Sorry about that, I didn't actually watch the video (I was in class )

But I agree, that is NOT a normal sound for fans. Sounds like a failing fan to me. To be more specific it's the sound of the bearings failing in the fan.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Sorry about that, I didn't actually watch the video (I was in class )

But I agree, that is NOT a normal sound for fans. Sounds like a failing fan to me. To be more specific it's the sound of the bearings failing in the fan.
Agreed. Sounds that way to me also. Been around so many failing fans so I usually pick up if something does not sound right.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

Alrighty, a box is coming for my MB.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade View Post

Nuh uh. The only time the fans in my mini accelerate to audible levels (i.e. more than a faint hiss), is when I'm putting it under a really heavy load.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Sounds like the bearings have gone, or are going, in the fan. Under normal use the fans are unnoticeable. Not silent, but not loud, either, you'll get a whirr, not a buzz.

This Fan Control stuff sounds worrying to me - my MacBook knows when to turn the fan on and I'm happy to trust it's judgement without overriding it.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Checked out your vid. If I had just bought a new fan for one of my desktops that sounded like that, it would have gone back to the store no question.

So, grabbed my wife's new MB to check it out. Don't have much time this morning to see what it will do under useage. Only compared the sound of it to yours. Also, am sitting about 12' from the refrigerator, so I am not in a silent room.

The type of sound is the same. It was sitting at 1600 rpm after a boot, enough use to download and install FanControl. While it can be heard at the lowest rpm's with the MBP up to me ears, it is virtually silent from a distance equal to sitting on my lap until it hits around 22-2500 rpm. Fan control 1.1 only allowed me to change it up to 3500. At that speed, the sound quality is the same as yours. There is really no way to compare the sound volume between our two machines.

edit: Nope, changed my mind about doing some more testing right now, somehow missed the post this morning about you're sending it back - prob still half asleep

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

well, I thought it would be happening, but apple canada doesn't do that
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

doesn't do what? send you a box to pack it in?

Are you still sending it back to Apple?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Traffic Lights | Shouldn't we be promoting other users not to go for Macs insteads »