New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

GPS system showdown!!: Garmin VS Magellan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

Which machine is better??? (or any general comments about other brands or these two brands specifically)

the Garmin 350

VS Magellan 4040

QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

try:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?group=2

i have a gps on my pda, never look at the screen as using the voice prompts while driving.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I've never really used a GPS system beforem except a few times, but just messing around with it. I'd say go for Magellen. They've been around for ages, and are one of the most popular GPS companies around.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Well, I was using a Garmin the other day in Rochester, NY. We wanted directions to the local Dino restaurant. We were a few blocks away, just didn't know the directions, or how to get there from where we were, so we picked it out on the Garmin, and it was giving us directions to the DIno restaurant in Syracuse. But not sure if that is Garmin's fault, or something else.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
Well, I was using a Garmin the other day in Rochester, NY. We wanted directions to the local Dino restaurant. We were a few blocks away, just didn't know the directions, or how to get there from where we were, so we picked it out on the Garmin, and it was giving us directions to the DIno restaurant in Syracuse. But not sure if that is Garmin's fault, or something else.
Is the local one new? Maybe you need to update your maps?
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Both are great companies. I've heard many great things about the Garmin. Magellan is not bad either... I would be happy with either.

I'm actually debating whether or not to get one for myself... come to think of it. Don't know what to do!
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

i had a Garmin pda right b4 i switched to Mac and I loved it! accurate and easy to use!

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

As a long time GPS user For hillwalking I would recommend Garmin as they seem a little more Mac freindly at present. There isn't much in the way of 3rd party software which support Magellan at the moment I should know as I use Magellan... Oh well here's hoping
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Garmin 350 is better. imo, Garmin Nuvi is #1 one and TomTom is #2. If you get anything else you probably won't be as happy, especially given the amount a good GPS system costs.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I personally have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and I love it. Its is super accurate and it works great. Keep in mind if the Restaurant or Point of interest that your are going to (like in StretchR's example) is new then it might not be loaded to the device. But give it any address and you'll b rocking in no time.

I love my Garmin actually the 350 is my second unit. My Original one was the C330 which was also great, but I like all the neat features on the 350 so I gave away my older one to my parents
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
I personally have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and I love it. Its is super accurate and it works great. Keep in mind if the Restaurant or Point of interest that your are going to (like in StretchR's example) is new then it might not be loaded to the device. But give it any address and you'll b rocking in no time.

I love my Garmin actually the 350 is my second unit. My Original one was the C330 which was also great, but I like all the neat features on the 350 so I gave away my older one to my parents

do u know if the 350 also has an MP3 player? i heard it does...

and what about updates? is there any way to update the map since its built in memory??
QUOTE Thanks
joe1019

joe1019 is on a distinguished road

I just came across a fantastic deal from an auction. It was a lot of Garmin GPS systems. You should definately check out this site. I got an amazing deal.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I got a Magellen first. The battery only lasted about 45 minutes and it stopped working are a month. I contacted Magellen to get it fixed. After over a month and several phone calls I finally got it shipped. Another month later I got it back in the exact same condition I sent it out.

The next day I got a Garmin Nuvi 255W and love it! Never have any problems at all and it's usually very accurate. (Aside from asking me to take an unnecessary u-turn once) You'll hear a lot about them taking a long time to link up with the satellites, but that is with the older models. Mine links in less than a minute every time.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I have a Magellan Maestro 4200. It's fairly basic, lacks text to speech, but otherwise a very solid little machine. I bought it off of Woot.com for about $150 and couldn't be happier. I even updated it to the 2009 maps (cost was about $70) and that brought along with it a number of UI refinements and a whole bunch of new POIs.

The only brand I would steer you away from is TomTom. I bought my mother-in-law one of these for Christmas (it was about $160) and it is an utter piece of crap. I could go into more detail, but suffice it to say that both the device and TomTom's customer support are nothing short of terrible. I sent it back to Amazon and bought another Magellan (this time a Roadmate 1250) and it's flawless.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
birdy176

birdy176 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I got a Magellen first. The battery only lasted about 45 minutes and it stopped working are a month. I contacted Magellen to get it fixed. After over a month and several phone calls I finally got it shipped. Another month later I got it back in the exact same condition I sent it out.
I researched all GPS models for months before reducing the choice to two: Garmin and TomTom. I made a call to the office of the latter expecting to be connected with Nepal or some such but it was New England.

Anyone who has ever bought a Magellan would not have done so if he/she had Googled for the reviews and testimonials on their GPS. 8 out 10 are not only negative but vociferous in their condemnation of the after-sale non-existent tech or customer service.

Fleurya's comment is the norm. You're in a world of hurt if you choose that outfit.

I finally chose TomTom model 910 with maps for all of North America AND much of Europe and is a HDD model which gets updated and can also be programed via the computer. When I had some trouble with my windshield attachment arm it was replaced with an FM upgrade that allows listening to instructions and downloaded music over the car's stereo on an unused frequency.

Garmin has also stellar reputation and one cannot g wrong with either brand.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Wont Play On My Quicktime Player | What running/exercise shoe do you use? »