New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Microsoft "Surfaces"....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18928656

QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

Nice. Wonder how much the devices with this technology will cost or the service.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Looks like Jeff Han has been working with Microsoft.
This was shown at the TED show in early 2006.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I believe the prototype was used in Gates' presentation at the CES 2006. I like the idea of the UI, but i can't think of it as nothing more than a expensive toy. It is, after all, just a table with a screen (or a screen made a table), and that isn't very ergonomic for long hours of work, it would kill your neck and back. I doubt such system would be accesible to the average user (because of the price) in the near future. I can see it working in an office meeting or similar enviroment of a company that has enough money to use $100 bills as notepads or as part of Gates' future house, but nothing more, not yet.
This gives me (again) the idea that people inside Microsoft live in their own reality and expect the world around to adapt to them and not adapt to the current needs. I do believe the device is quite impressive, so is a giant robot, but i don't see myself using any of those in the real world.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Very cool. Nice to see some actual innovation from Microsoft.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

Here's a news story on Surface, with a few more particulars, including a very rough price estimate.
Quote:
Surface is essentially a Windows Vista PC tucked inside a shiny black table base, topped with a 30-inch touchscreen in a clear acrylic frame. Five cameras that can sense nearby objects are mounted beneath the screen.

<snip>

With a price tag between $5,000 (U.S.) and $10,000 per unit, Microsoft isn't immediately aiming for the finger painting set. (The company said it expects prices to drop enough to make consumer versions feasible in three to five years.)
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Microsoft had a demo of it back in 2005 as well

http://www.digitalexperience.dk/?p=26

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

Anyone who is interested in the artistic use of the thing should see a similar product, Light Strokes OptiPaint

Its just a tad expensive
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

It's usually Microsoft ≠ Innovation
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraya View Post
I believe the prototype was used in Gates' presentation at the CES 2006. I like the idea of the UI, but i can't think of it as nothing more than a expensive toy. It is, after all, just a table with a screen (or a screen made a table), and that isn't very ergonomic for long hours of work, it would kill your neck and back. I doubt such system would be accesible to the average user (because of the price) in the near future. I can see it working in an office meeting or similar enviroment of a company that has enough money to use $100 bills as notepads or as part of Gates' future house, but nothing more, not yet.
This gives me (again) the idea that people inside Microsoft live in their own reality and expect the world around to adapt to them and not adapt to the current needs. I do believe the device is quite impressive, so is a giant robot, but i don't see myself using any of those in the real world.
Most of the demo suggest business uses-- cell phone sales, restaurant ordering, and auto loading of songs onto the Zune (that looked kind of cool BTW, finally a decent use for the WiFi). You can easily see businesses forking out the money for such a thing.

Also, it has the capability to revolutionize the CAD/CAM market. Just think of the kind of things use could do with Pro/E or Solidworks and a system like that. Considering that fifteen years ago, businesses were forking out $200K for good CAD workstations, it's certainly something that would sell.

Anyways, it'd be wonderful if they can actually pull it off, but MS has a record of promising things and not actually living up to what they promised (tablet pc, UMPC, or Vista, anyone?). But the demo look fairly functional, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9723647-1.html

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

WOW... I gotta give it to Microsoft on this one.

That is a pretty neat Device.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraya View Post
I like the idea of the UI, but i can't think of it as nothing more than a expensive toy. It is, after all, just a table with a screen (or a screen made a table), and that isn't very ergonomic for long hours of work, it would kill your neck and back. I doubt such system would be accesible to the average user (because of the price) in the near future...

I agree! It seems rather impractical for "real world" use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I agree to u to some extent, but then look at the other side of it. The whole commercial use for such a product is great, its convenient for the customer at a restaurant, and make things faster don't u think?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I saw this over a year ago and I think it's interesting technology - especially for retailers or service oriented businesses. The criticisms that it's essentially Vista in a table and a touch screen are cruel and ignorant - a bit like saying iPod is just a portable HDD with a DSP attached - this thing has potential.

I don't think it's intended for hours of work and won't be replacing the trust notebook or desktop any time soon.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flash!!! | What is the best source of news in your opinion? »