New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Annnnnd...Microsoft again

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu.../28/100033867/

Great read.

Quote:
Microsoft claims that free software like Linux, which runs a big chunk of corporate America, violates 235 of its patents. It wants royalties from distributors and users. Users like you, maybe. Fortune's Roger Parloff reports.

Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

These high-profile patent cases are just getting out of hand. What's really in it for MS? Is Linux use growing that much? Maybe it's that that pretty new GUI animation pack that makes the "wow" of Vista look like old hat. I didn't realize Linux ran a big chunk of corporate America.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
...What's really in it for MS? Is Linux use growing that much?...
Public relations. Microsoft is the bad guy, they are the empire, the huge corporation. Even for those who don't know much about computers, it isn't hard to notice the "evil" halo around Microsoft. With this complaints Microsoft (Gates and Balmer) have a change to either be the victim or at least the gentle giant who allows "little people" to use their resources.
The Linux comunity has asked Microsoft to especify those details so they can change to non-patented alternatives, MS hasn't responded with especific details, just more tricks.

Linux is the future, yes, Linux, not OSX. Why? Don't ask why, that isn't the purpose of this thread . Dell has anounced that they will offer Ubuntu as an option, Japan is trying to use Linux for all governmen systems. HP, IBM and others already offer servers with Linux. Microsof has reasons to be worried.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I don't think Linux is that big in corporate America as a whole, but in the server market I do think it has a rather large market share.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
I don't think Linux is that big in corporate America as a whole, but in the server market I do think it has a rather large market share.
That's the point; it 'runs' corporate America. It's in just about every data centre and server room these days in at least some small way, and in many cases in a big way.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« $1 million-worth of MacBook Pros in one room | dot.NET developers wanted in Dublin, Ireland »