Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   For those who use both pc's and macs. (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/6182-those-who-use-both-pcs-macs.html)

citystar2k 05-01-2004 04:55 PM

For those who use both pc's and macs.

You might've seen this topic before time and time again, but what i wanna know is not figures of specs, speeds, blah blah blah, but a first eye account from somebody that has both a pc and a mac. I'll be getting either a powerbook or ibook, but i wont dispense with my laptop thought. It's running a 2.8 athlon xp-m chip with 1gig of memory. Would a maxed out 1gig 12" ibook with 1.25gig of memory beat my laptop when it comes to video editing on the road? What do you think could run faster? Any reply is welcome here, even if you wanna point out speeds, specs, etc, coz i wanna learn as much as i can before i buy.

Thank you for reading!

trpnmonkey41 05-01-2004 05:05 PM

Well I don't have experience with the iBook performance wise but this is a comparison that I can attest to

Custom Desktop - P4 2.6 ghz 1GB RDRAM
eMac - 1.25 ghz 1GB DDR RAM

The eMac destroyyyys my custom desktop in just about everything video/photo related

witeshark 05-01-2004 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citystar2k
You might've seen this topic before time and time again, but what i wanna know is not figures of specs, speeds, blah blah blah, but a first eye account from somebody that has both a pc and a mac. I'll be getting either a powerbook or ibook, but i wont dispense with my laptop thought. It's running a 2.8 athlon xp-m chip with 1gig of memory. Would a maxed out 1gig 12" ibook with 1.25gig of memory beat my laptop when it comes to video editing on the road? What do you think could run faster? Any reply is welcome here, even if you wanna point out speeds, specs, etc, coz i wanna learn as much as i can before i buy.
Thank you for reading!

I personally think it will especially if Mac editing apps are used. In cases where pc appears faster - more then likely the app in comparison fails to exploit Mac's broader internal data paths

TylerMoney 05-01-2004 07:26 PM

I use both....and usability makes me want to use my powerbook over my pc desktop. Speed wise their very similar..I don't do a whle lot of video stuff...at least not yet.....but I like the way the adobe creative suit runs on my powerbook more so than my xp pc....

dtx3000 05-01-2004 11:02 PM

imac 1ghz 512 ddrram 32mb vid
versus
the dell 1.5 ghz 384 rdram 16mb vid
winners:
games - dell
graphics apps - imac
vid editing - imac destroyyys

witeshark 05-01-2004 11:10 PM

Super interesting ;)

Osiris22x 05-02-2004 12:11 AM

I've got an Athlon 2400 desktop with a gig of RAM, a 24 bit sound card, and a 128 MB GeForce 4 Ti4200.

My Powerbook is a 1.33 GHz G4 with 512 MB of RAM and a 64 MB graphics card.

In games, my PC spanks my Mac. No comparison whatsoever.
In graphics editing, my PC still spanks my Mac.
In movies, the Mac has a slight edge, and most importantly is MUCH more stable (the PC video editing software likes to crash)

Overall? The design and usability and stability of the Mac make it a far superior system. I estimate that within two years Macs will be much faster than PCs for the same price.

WilliS 05-02-2004 12:14 AM

macs::: ibook 600 256 ram (8 meg lol)/ dual 2ghz g5 512 ram (ati radeon 9700 i think)
pcs::: 1ghz 768 ram (geforce 4 ti 4600) / 2.4ghz 512 ram (geforce 4 ti 4600)

games:
1. Dual G5 **winner**
2. 2.4 pc
3. 1.0 pc
4. ibook 600

graphics apps:
1. Dual G5 **winner**
2. 2.4 pc
3. ibook 600
4. 1.0 pc

video editing:
1. Dual G5 **winner**
2. 2.4 pc
3. ibook 600
4. 1.0 pc

just incase you were wondering... the dual g5 blows the hell out of even the most powerful gaming machines my friends can create.. my frames per second in games like quake blow the pc away

witeshark 05-02-2004 12:48 AM

YEAH! This is what I have been trying to point out! Thanks WilliS :)

WilliS 05-02-2004 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just a FYI... i was messin around... dont mind my horrible aim, i was taking a screenshot ;) lol (still killed the guy!) but just notice the fps

**note** if you are one of those people who go by the numbers of what people put out, and never really see for yourself what the machine actually puts out, dont bother complaining that my FPS is only 90...because ive played first person shooter games forever, and only WISH i could had over 60fps constantly in every game i play.

oh... and if you're a stickler for detail, i had all the video graphics on as high as they would go, and the screenshot is while i am shooting the gun, so it has partical effects and such... and still running at a smooth 90fps

*** edit *** just replayed the game, put all the settings on low and stuff... still 90fps... i dont think it will register over 90... so i guess its possible it could have gone higher on full graphics.. nice to know? :-\

nicholas 05-02-2004 04:03 AM

My comparison is based on my mac desktop vs. my friend's PC desktop, both of which I've had extensive time to play games, edit video, write documents, and horse around on.

My Mac: Dual 2Ghz G5, 128MB Radeon 9800, 160GB HD 7200rpm, 4GB RAM.

Friend's PC: Alienware Aurora 64 FX-53, 256MB GeForce 6800, 120GB HD 7200rpm, 2GB RAM.

IN OTHER WORDS, I'm comparing two ultra loaded top-of-the-line computers from each camp, both 64-bit, not to mention.

Games: I can't tell the difference. Frame rates blaze on both computers.
Internet: Mac wins. Only because of Safari's speed.
Word Processing: PC applications load faster (as in hairs of a second), but files open with identical speed.
Video: Mac crunches computations and renders chunks of video noticeably faster than a PC does. I compared with both computers running Avid DV Express.
Photoshop: Mac. No contest.
STABILITY: Mac spanks the PC's monkey.

hype.it 05-02-2004 08:19 AM

hehe...

witeshark 05-02-2004 01:49 PM

Let's post this in the M$ website! ;) :)

dziner 05-04-2004 10:21 PM

I use a PC at work all day with Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Then I come home and use my 1.6Ghz G5 for the same thing. Both apps are much easier to use on the Mac. Fonts look better, FTP is easier. Everything I do on the Mac just seems so much simpler.

witeshark 05-04-2004 10:56 PM

It's mind boggling that people are stubborn enough to keep using M$ doz bloz after all this -- on the other hand so many are working so hard to accomplish in Linux what we have up and running in OS X :) :D