New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Question regarding Pirates of Silicon valley

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mantronix

Mantronix will become famous soon enough

I found the answers to some of the questions about the movie. I couldn't ask about one question because the thread was locked. In the beginning of the movie when Steve was making the announcement about a partnership between Apple and Microsoft and the audience was getting off. What came of that agreement?

Widgets≠Gadgets
QUOTE Thanks
Subwall

Subwall will become famous soon enough

among other things Microsoft bought a portion of Apple to keep it afloat after it was all but run into the ground in Steve's absence. I believe for a short time IE was the default browser in Mac OS and Office for Mac came to fruition. I'm sure I missed something but off the top of my head....that's all I can think of.

Here is a video. Steve Jobs explains it better than me.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

You can see the entire keynote from 1997 here...

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/movies.html

There are several good videos too.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subwall View Post
among other things Microsoft bought a portion of Apple to keep it afloat after it was all but run into the ground in Steve's absence.
BZZZZT wrong answer.

MS purchased $150 Million worth of Non-Voting Apple Stock and the two companies settled some long standing patent disputes. The purchase of the Non-Voting stock was part of the patent settlement and after the agreed 5 years MS sold all shares at a tidy profit. I stress Non-Voting as the stock was part of a settlement and MS never had a stake in or any control over the company.

Apple agreed to make IE the default browser o the Mac, but continued to ship the OS with Netscape pre-installed as well. Apple dumped both when they introduced Safari. MS agreed to continue to make Office for the Mac for at least 5 years, which they have continued well beyond.

The other terms of the settlement, including what MS paid Apple for withdrawing over a dozen other patent suits, most of which MS would have likely lost, have been kept a secret by both companies.

QUOTE Thanks
Subwall

Subwall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
BZZZZT wrong answer.

Oh, I didn't know this was a game show.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

So Microsoft's $150m investment in Apple had less to do with the financial situation of Apple at the time and was mostly part of the settlement of patent disputes?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

The URL in your first message backs up what Baggss was saying. Thanks for posting the URL to it as I had forgotten where it was on the net.
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

Zing! Perhaps I will watch that movie today, I'm driving with the family to my sister's graduation from Lycoming (9 hours away). It's either that or True Lies
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Apple agreed to make IE the default browser o the Mac, but continued to ship the OS with Netscape pre-installed as well. Apple dumped both when they introduced Safari.
BZZZZZT
Macs still ship with IE preinstalled.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yep. Good call. I never realized that. You'd think that since MS discontinued IE for the Mac that Apple would dump it. Wonder if it will still be there in Leopard?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I do not remember seeing IE on my Core Duo Mini out of the box. I just did a reinstall after my testing the mini with Vista and will go check.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Ya, I looked at my wife's C2D Intel iMac. it's there. Runs WAY slow though....

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It is not on my MBP. At least not in the applications folder, nor anywhere Spotlight will show me.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
BZZZZZT
Macs still ship with IE preinstalled.
Where is it. Are you sure it wasn't simply copied over via the Migration Assistant?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Where is it. Are you sure it wasn't simply copied over via the Migration Assistant?
Hmmmm...forgot about that......

QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Internet Explorer for Mac ceased to be supported as of January 2006. Apple would never

a) ship Software that doesn't support up-to-date technoliges
b) ship a PPC applciation on Intel Macs.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...ternetexplorer

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MadTV: the iRack | Used CD sales... »