New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Thankful for Windows XP security!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

After a few months lying dormant on my office floor, today I needed a file on my HP notebook. Well, darned if I couldn't remember the password!

Luckily, a quick search of the internet showed me how to:

1. Start in Safe Mode
2. Log in as the Administrator (with no password)
3. Reset the password
4. Log in normally again

So thank you, thank you Microsoft for putting XP security right where I needed it!
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Hahaha, very good find Todd!
QUOTE Thanks
stevenyc

stevenyc can only hope to improve

How is that any worse than booting a Mac off of the install cd and resetting the password? At least with XP you would have been kept out if you had set the admin password.
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

Yes, I don't to see how you not setting a password for the admin account is a Microsoft specific problem. A security system is only as good as the user who admins it.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

ToddG, could you post the link showing how to do this? I am buying a vintage PC with the aim of restoring it. It comes from a liquidator (take in corporate baggage, sell it cheap). It has Win 2000 on it, and of course it won't go beyond the password prompt. If there is another way in, that would be great. Else I have to wipe it and start fresh. Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
After a few months lying dormant on my office floor, today I needed a file on my HP notebook.
Why were you lying dormant on your office floor?

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

All the STOCK XP Home OEM installs I have seen on Name Brand machines are usually set up that way. No password on the Admin account. XP Pro is not that way though by default like Home is. I always go and put in an Admin password to keep people that know XP well out of the system. In this case though that would have kept ToddG out of his own HP notebook!! To me it's not a real issue since it can easily be fixed, but should be if your machine is around people you do not trust.

There are ways to get the password if you forget it but most cost $$$. I found a Linux boot CD that claims to allow you to change the Admin or user password on any XP system, but after 10 trys on my Compaq AMD 64 notebook it did not work.

I appreciate OSX's approach so at least one can get into their machine if they have the CD/DVD that came with the machine if they forget their password. Just keep the Install Media away from people!
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

mac57: Don't know if it will work with 2000 or not, but for XP Media Center (which is what's on my HP) I just held down F8 while the computer booted up, chose Safe Mode, and then logged in as username "Administrator" with a blank password.

As for the comparison to OS X, I don't think it's quite the same. Most people don't walk around with an OS X install/boot disk. But almost all of us walk around with a finger capable of holding down the F8 button. :batman:
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Being completely Windoze illiterate and very proud of being so, *LOL*, what does the F8 key do? Does this bypass the security?
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

MHC...F8 held down when re booting loads safe mode.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ah! Ok, gotcha!
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
Why were you lying dormant on your office floor?
lol

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hey i just noticed.. | Place Falls Apart When I am Gone for a While! »