New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

UK most unpopular for Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hustle

Hustle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD

I'm from London, United Kingdom. I currently go to school and theres one thing i've noticed that last few months.

Macs are very very rare in the United Kingdom. I've NEVER seen a Mac PC in a store, they all use Windows. None of my friends have Mac and none of the ICT teachers have a Mac.

It seems that its hard to come by a Mac.

I looked into Macs about 6 months ago, but i wasn't convinced to get one because of the ''Mac users are full of themselves'' comment.

Although, 1 month ago, i bought a Macbook (white, 1.83 Core 2). I'm pleasantly surprised by it. I think its a lot better then Windows. However, using Windows since i started using computers, its been hard to come to terms with using a Mac every day instead of a PC. I still have a PC in my bedroom which i use on the odd ocasion as i don't like using my Mac for boring stuff like spreadsheets. Thats mainly because its a laptop and laptops suck and doing boring school work.

It just seems even on TV, NO Uk adverts/shows have Macs in them, but looking at American shows and adverts, a lot of people have Macs.

Are British people that boring that noone has a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

That's strange, I always thought they were more popular there than they are here.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Well, even if you don't find them in your A-typical computer store, you seem to have two options for finding Macs in the London area.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/brent.../20070429.html

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/regen.../20070429.html
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've actually been noticing a trend of an increasing number of Macs wherever I go. Just the other day I was looking around a cafe I was sitting at and saw that 4 out 5 laptops were Macs. I walked around a bit and I just kept seeing Macs. I still see more Windows laptops in classrooms because the kids had bought them 2-3 years ago. But I'm sure once I get to graduate school, the number of Macs will be much higher.

I'm surprised you don't see more Macs in the UK. I figured it would fit into the popular culture there very well.
QUOTE Thanks
Hustle

My school has 2 old Macintosh computer. I think its the G3's. 2 Macs compared to 836 Windows PC's/laptops.
Yes, London has Apple stores, however, people mainly go there to buy iPods. iPods are HUGE in London, just Mac computers, Arnt!

I start college in September and i'm doing a Btec ICT course. I'm hoping we're going to be aloud to take our laptops to school and i hope i see more Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

They have Macs in my local PC World, and I live in the middle of nowhere. Having said that I'm the only Mac owner I know.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Hustle

Yes, they have a few Macs in my local PC world, only on display though. I'm also the only Mac user i know of.
QUOTE Thanks
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

I live in the UK and I don't know anyone with a mac. I also have not seen anyone use one other than when I visited an Apple store in Birmingham and London (actually I have seen the media guys at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club use them but that's it).

I do agree with you that a lot of US TV shows, adverts and films use macs whereas over here our media uses more generic products.

I also think its hard to find places that sell macs, I have only come across very small selections (i.e. 2 Macbooks and 1 iMac) in shops like PC World and Toys'r'us.
QUOTE Thanks
kmw

kmw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2GHz 1 GB 13", Ipod mini.

I know what you mean, we are now a 2 mac house, my husband has his I mac and I have just got my Mac book. I loved playing on the I mac which is the reason I got my own I think He was fed up of never getting on it. lol

I don't know anyone other than us who has one.
QUOTE Thanks
MUDCRABS

MUDCRABS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
I'm from London, United Kingdom. I currently go to school and theres one thing i've noticed that last few months.

Macs are very very rare in the United Kingdom. I've NEVER seen a Mac PC in a store, they all use Windows. None of my friends have Mac and none of the ICT teachers have a Mac.

I looked into Macs about 6 months ago, but i wasn't convinced to get one because of the ''Mac users are full of themselves'' comment.

Although, 1 month ago, i bought a Macbook (white, 1.83 Core 2). I'm pleasantly surprised by it. I think its a lot better then Windows. However, using Windows since i started using computers, its been hard to come to terms with using a Mac every day instead of a PC. I still have a PC in my bedroom which i use on the odd ocasion as i don't like using my Mac for boring stuff like spreadsheets. Thats mainly because its a laptop and laptops suck and doing boring school work.

It just seems even on TV, NO Uk adverts/shows have Macs in them, but looking at American shows and adverts, a lot of people have Macs.

Are British people that boring that noone has a Mac?
Now don't you just love a young bloke that tells the truth now and again...{ ''Mac users are full of themselves''} and I think he is right on the money in some cases.
Yes we are a funny breed inside the Apple:flower:

I dont have Attention Deficit Dis..... Hey look! A chicken!.

http://p220.ezboard.com/bmudcrabsrockpool
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle View Post

I think this is not a UK-thing, but rather a outside-US-thing. In Europe in general, you will find that Macs are far from as common as in the US.

I would not really agree though, that there are no stores where you can buy a Mac in London. The Apple-store in Regent street is the biggest in the world and they really do not only sell iPods you know. You can also buy Macs in several other stores (even PCWorld!!) around London and Apple currently is having a huge advertising campaign which you see on billboards everywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

mikeyman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

I have seen a couple of macs in PC world.
However, a pc is industry standard. How often would you see a webdesigner without dreamweaver or a photographer without CS2.
Macs have never been the most common computer choice, mainly because of the excessive price tag, the macbook starts at 750 and i know you can pick up a half decent laptop for 350 and a pretty nice medion for 400 at woolworthes.

The amont of macs I see around is increasing!
But at the end of the day... more people using them, more of a reason to create a virus.
And sometimes its nice to be a minority, I'm pretty sure thats one of the reason why the ZEN sells so well and other make mp3 players as people dont want to be like sheep.

ALso the mac advertisement is bigger than ever at the moment, even in the cinema's its being played.

Im still debating if i should upgrade to vista, as I dont use a pc anymore and xp still furfills my needs.

QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

This is fascinating - doesn't Apple break down their sales by country?
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

PC World sells Macs.

We have Apple stores in the UK. One person at work has a Mac, my brother has a Mac.

One thing I will say is people are put off by the price here. Many people just simply don't believe in buying the premium product.

I've seen Macs on TV in the UK, it was in some crime drama.
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Hi

I live in a small sleepy village on the coast. When I considered the change to a Mac earlier this year, I had to travel over 100 miles to an Apple store to see the real thing. No one I knew had a Mac so I was stuck with the internet or a long drive to help me make a decision. In the next village to me, there is a small estate agent and low and behold, while looking through their window, I noticed that on each desk there were Macs...I nearly fell over. The guy in the shop told me that there was an Apple retailer only NINE miles away....which is where I ended up buying my iMac. Since then, I have seen loads out and about. I am surprised just how many there are. On the new Stephen Fry show "Kingdom" there are more Macs than you can shake a stick at. When I told people I was considering a Mac their reaction was like cold air passing through a bad filling, but that's their hard luck. I think more and more people are looking at Macs, certainly everyone who has seen mine has been impressed - which is good.
After saying all this, I have never seen ANY of the Mac adds on TV.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« world of warcraft? | About half as many illegal aliens as Mac users »