New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

UK most unpopular for Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MUDCRABS

MUDCRABS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker Times View Post
Hi

I live in a small sleepy village on the coast. When I considered the change to a Mac earlier this year, I had to travel over 100 miles to an Apple store to see the real thing. No one I knew had a Mac so I was stuck with the internet or a long drive to help me make a decision. In the next village to me, there is a small estate agent and low and behold, while looking through their window, I noticed that on each desk there were Macs...I nearly fell over. The guy in the shop told me that there was an Apple retailer only NINE miles away....which is where I ended up buying my iMac. Since then, I have seen loads out and about. I am surprised just how many there are. On the new Stephen Fry show "Kingdom" there are more Macs than you can shake a stick at. When I told people I was considering a Mac their reaction was like cold air passing through a bad filling, but that's their hard luck. I think more and more people are looking at Macs, certainly everyone who has seen mine has been impressed - which is good.
After saying all this, I have never seen ANY of the Mac adds on TV.
Stephen Fry is the Champion of Mac's in the UK:miner:

I dont have Attention Deficit Dis..... Hey look! A chicken!.

http://p220.ezboard.com/bmudcrabsrockpool
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Oh and don't forget the other London (ish) Mac store, Bluewater. This where I brought my two Macs from.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Think Mac's like Linux are still pretty rare everywhere.
I've tinkered with Linux since '95 and just bought first couple of Mac's in December. Have yet to meet, in person, anyone else that knew anything about either one. Mac's have one advantage in that most have at least heard of Apple. And outside the couple of tech support jobs I've had, don't remember having met anyone where Linux came up that didn't respond with "What's Linux?".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

I don't think Mac-ownership in the UK is as high as it is in the US. BUT I do think things are changing. I see Macs in a few shops now (PC World & John Lewis to name a couple (I think they've been available at most PC World stores for a while now)) My univeristy had a great Mac Lab, and there were a few more dotted around the rest of the campus as well - and I understand another campus of the uni (The art faculty) had quite a few more Macs.

Go to somewhere like the Watershed (bar/art house/cinema) in Bristol and you'll spot a few people with MacBooks, MacBook Pros', Ibooks etc and the bar provides a few Mac desktops as well.

However, of the people I know personally - there is only one that has a Mac Mini - So far I've been unable to convert people from Windows or Linux - but I'm trying
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

The problem with Mac ownership in the UK, is the fact that from the ages of 4-18 Years in National Education people don't see Mac's, let alone get taught how to use them.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
After saying all this, I have never seen ANY of the Mac adds on TV.
That's because they're only shown at the cinema :-)

PC World doesn't sell many Macs because the staff are useless when it comes to PCs, let alone anything else.
QUOTE Thanks
Flic

Flic is a jewel in the roughFlic is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: - Macbook -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
PC World doesn't sell many Macs because the staff are useless when it comes to PCs, let alone anything else.
Oh so true!!

I got my MacBook from John Lewis with my 12% discount :girl: I only know of 2 other people with a Mac. One of them was the guy who converted me. He sure knows how to sell something to me, it didn't take much I can tell you! I used his for about 10 minutes before I went out and made the switch. Not one regret!
QUOTE Thanks
Adam

Adam will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4

Apple Stores
John Lewis
PC World all stock them

Spooks on BBC1 has Macs, the new one with Stepehn Fry (as rightly pointed out the King of Macs in the UK) and I've seen a couple of others.

I know quite a few people who have macs an dseem to see them around and about.

Ad
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

I think it is silly for Apple to limit their adverts to cinema. The iPod is TV advertised, and look at its popularity. The last time I saw an advert for Mac computers, was for the G3 - the ad with the guy staring through the shop window, and the Mac copying his expressions - a very good ad!
I think cinema adverts are lame. Too many people nipping to the loo, or trying to buy a KiaOra or Magnum, and you constantly having to stand up to let people past....how are you ever supposed to really take notice of whats on the screen......plus I only go to the cinema once or twice a year, so if my Mac purchase had depended on those ads, I'd still be pecking away at my now ancient "stained Glass" Windows.

Philip

Champagne for my real friends.......Real pain for my sham friends.
QUOTE Thanks
wheels5894

wheels5894 is on a distinguished road

Don't you think the best advert is actual personal experience andthat being passed around? I have been trying to decide to move to Mac but have some software packages I have to work round. However, last night rather decided things.

I had virtually no internet speed and things were jerky. A check showed a couple of processes taking nearly all the processing time and 2 extra users added to my machine too. Pulling the plug stopped the activity and a re-format this morning solved the rest, but this is not how computing is supposed to work.

While I start to count my pennies and get an order sorted, current Mac users just snigger a bit and feel a self-satisfied!

wheel-chairing househusband who enjoys cooking singing and music an Early Jewish History
QUOTE Thanks
TheThirdMan

TheThirdMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz

The UK is currently the most popular mac-buying nation in europe, which is why the hq was moved to london from paris, though germany is catching up fast!
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

Everyone on my son's college course (here in the UK) has a mac including him as of this week - but then he is on a graphics design course!

John Lewis has had Macs for a while, and while that is a bit of a trek from rural East Yorkshire there are Mac resellers in York and Scarborough. We may be out in the sticks but we like our macs up here!!!
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

I think I read they are Building another Apple Store in West Midlands this time in Solihull, I assume it's off the Success of the Apple Store Birmingham which is always alot more packed than any other "techy" store in there.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
chaslam

chaslam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB

But is there really any need to advertise on TV? I mean they are mainly concentrating on web based advertising. I think most of the people who buy macs actually by them for a reason. Most of my friends who have no idea about computers would never even consider buying a mac, yep people who use the internet alot (techies) would.

Ive also noticed alot of advertising on the side of bus shelters and posters around, which is strange.

Admin of the 3G Forum

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/index.php?referrerid=2359
QUOTE Thanks
Darker Times

Darker Times is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro i5 - 24" iMac c2d - Mac Mini c2d - iPad 2 - iPhone 4 - tv 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
John Lewis has had Macs for a while, and while that is a bit of a trek from rural East Yorkshire there are Mac resellers in York and Scarborough. We may be out in the sticks but we like our macs up here!!!
True!

I live about 12 miles from Scarborough and I can highly recommend the Apple dealer there. I travelled all the way to Meadowhall before I found out that we had one so close!....what a chump!!!

Philip

Champagne for my real friends.......Real pain for my sham friends.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« world of warcraft? | About half as many illegal aliens as Mac users »