New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Reputation FAQ.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Here is a Reputation FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) that I've decided to start. I know these answers can be found throughout the forums but I thought it would be easier and more convienant if all of it was consolidated in to one thread.

1Q) How do I rate other members?
1A) It is under the member's avatar and information. There should be a red circle and two boxes. It is the middle box with the check mark and the X on it that you click to rate that member.

2Q) Can I see reputation comments?
2A) Yes. You can see what the member said about you and what reputation was given. You can see the last 10 reputation comments. How you can access this information is by clicking "Profile" on the menu bar near the top of the browser page. Another way to see your reputation and comments is clicking on the direct link: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/usercp.php

3Q) Can I vote for myself?
3A) No, you can't.

4Q) Can I see which member left me positive or negative reputation?
4A) Not unless the user left their name in their reputation comment.

5Q) Do I have to leave a comment when I leave positive or negative reputation?
5A) Yes, if you're leaving negative reputation. No, if you're leaving positive.

6Q) Can I leave multiple reputation points for the same member?
6A) No. You have to leave reputation for several other members before you can "vote" for the same person again.

7Q) How many reputation points can I give in a 24 hour period?
7A) Only the administrators and moderators know.

8Q) How many reputation points do I start with when I sign up with the forum?
8A) 10 points.

9Q) How many reuptation points do I need before I get a new box under my avatar?
9A) For the first 6 boxes, you need to have 100 points to earn each box. Example: If you have 58 reputation points, you'll need 42 more points before you get your next box. After you earn 6 boxes, you get a new box for every 200 points you earn. Example: If you have 872 points (seven boxes), you'll need 128 more points to earn another box.

10Q) Can anyone leave reputation points?
10A) Yes but you need to have a certain amount of posts and have to be a member for a certain length of time before your reputation points count towards the user's reputation level. How many posts and how long you need to be a member before this happens is known only to the administrators and moderators.

11Q) Is there a maximum amount of boxes I can earn?
11A) Not that I know of. The most I've ever seen is 12. If there is a cut-off limit, only the administrators and moderators know.

12Q) What do the different color reputation boxes mean?
12A) Green = Positive Ratings, Red = Negative Ratings, Grey = The user who left reputation points did not meet the minimum criteria for their vote to count.

13Q) Why is there a certain criteria before my reputation given counts?
13A) There's a couple of reasons why this rule is in place. One, is to prevent reputation being given out to people who don't deserve it, for example, someone giving reputation points to their friend regardless of how helpful their friend's answers are. The other is to ensure that people have time to get a good idea of how helpful a user is and that they don't give negative to someone simply because they were offended or disagreed with.

14Q) Can I vote for the same post more than one time?
14A) No you can't.

One thing to keep in mind with the reputation system is the longer you're a member here and the more active you are, the higher your ratings count. This also applies with your rating, the more reputation points you have, the more influential your vote is going to be.

If anyone would like to add something to this FAQ thread, please feel free to do so!

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future

There has to be something that was missed. Please everyone add to this!

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Is it possible to get good rep removed because of derogatory comments that some one left with it? Or is it ok to anonamously leave stuff like that since there's no way to tell who left it?

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Is it possible to get good rep removed because of derogatory comments that some one left with it? Or is it ok to anonamously leave stuff like that since there's no way to tell who left it?
Your first question you would have to ask a mod because I honestly have no idea.. your second question, I don't suggest you leave derogatory comments in your comments when you give reputation because that is a violation of the rules.. One thing I do know, Mods can see peoples comments left and given.

QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Good post....I just learned that I need 14 more rep point for my next box....I was wondering how that worked.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDDoG View Post
Good post....I just learned that I need 14 more rep point for my next box....I was wondering how that worked.
I am happy you found this thread helpful. that was the point.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

KoDor, your opening post is very complete. I just can't see what could be added to your FAQ. Very thorough, my man!

Edited to add:

Ohh! MAybe you could add that talking about it, begging for rep points is not a terribly good idea...
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
KoDor, your opening post is very complete. I just can't see what could be added to your FAQ. Very thorough, my man!

Edited to add:

Ohh! MAybe you could add that talking about it, begging for rep points is not a terribly good idea...
Great suggestion! I won't add it, you need to take credit for it!

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

LOL

I was trying to find where this was discussed/posted by forum staff to post a link to the thread and can't anymore... Gotta be around here somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

(I must be tired! When I read this before posting it, it's seems pretty rambly. Hope it makes some sense. )

Thank you KoDorSean! I was literally just about to post about this! I really don't get how the rep system is supposed to be used.

1. What's up with people giving rep and then posting that they did it in a thread. This seems kinda wrong to me somehow... kinda like...um, I don't know what, but it's weird to me, lol!

2. I'm not too sure I would get upset if someone left me neg rep. this happens IRL, too and I deal with it. But I see that people can get pretty worried about it. What am I missing? If I had 100 positive and 2 negatives, I can't imagine I would care...

3. I thought the rep comments were to help other people judge you a bit, so I wrote all my comments as if everyone could read them, like, "really good technical help" so someone would know that that person was knowledgeable in that way. But the comments that I've gotten from people read more like a VERY short email and have been mostly related to specific content in my posts.

4. So...exactly what is the purpose of the rep system? To keep us being nice, so we'll hopefully get more + reps?

5. My absolute favorite thing about the rep system is the message you get after leaving it! ...if you're lucky maybe you will get the same in return... That is awesome.

Thanks again KoDorSean. and thanks everyone for reading this.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm going to only add one thing to this list...

STOP FOCUSING SO MUCH ON THE SYSTEM

All of this focus, whining, complaining, begging, etc for rep that seems to have cropped up over the last few months has truly begun to ruin the entire reputation system and its purpose.

I will tell you, there are serious discussions going on at the moment to completely get rid of the system if things don't improve since it no longer is a legitimate measure of what it's intended to be.

So for all who read this, the continued existence of the system is in your hands and how you choose to continue to use the system.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I'm going to only add one thing to this list...

All of this focus, whining, complaining, begging, etc for rep that seems to have cropped up over the last few months has truly begun to ruin the entire reputation system and its purpose.

I will tell you, there are serious discussions going on at the moment to completely get rid of the system if things don't improve since it no longer is a legitimate measure of what it's intended to be.

So for all who read this, the continued existence of the system is in your hands and how you choose to continue to use the system.
I did not start this thread to put focus on the rep system. I started this thread to help people better understand the system. I also did not start this thread to start whining, complaining or begging. If you feel this thread is some how doing any of that just delete this thread.

QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post

Yeah, what he said.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm speaking in general about the rep system, not necessarily this thread.

While I appreciate your letting me know I can delete the thread, that's not my purpose.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

and there it goes...

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 8 Core Mac Pro smashed into smitherenes | Ever Traveled/Lived Abroad?? »