New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

msn

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kweenelmer

i have msn 3.5 . apparently there is 3.5.1 . i have downloaded it but am ihaving trouble udating. what do i do?
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

delete ur old version and install the new one. Make sure the file and all associated files are binned and the bin is emptied b4 installing the new version. Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I have 4.0... >.> <.< well HAD it, my friend sent it to me, but I trashed it.
I believe 3.5.1 is 3.5...
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
delete ur old version and install the new one. Make sure the file and all associated files are binned and the bin is emptied b4 installing the new version. Hope that helps.
Yeah, this is right, and secure empty trash to be sure :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
kweenelmer

ok it wont delete completely. it says i dont have the priviliges. but im the admin. what does this mean?

also is there a higher version?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Have you enabled the root user? This has absolute power over the system never be root on line! and if nothing else works I know I can find how to delete it from the terminal
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

how would u enable root user? and u mentioned never be a root user when u are online, why?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

If some strange way access was gained to your system while you are on as root, total control would revert to that access. To enable root:
Open NetInfo Manager, located in Applications > Utilities.
Choose Security > Enable Root User and type a password for the root account. You may need to type an administrator password to make these changes.
Choose Apple menu > Log Out.
Choose Other in the Login window, type root in the Name field, and the root password in the Password field
QUOTE Thanks
kweenelmer

::blinks::

could someone dumb that down for me?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Netinfo manager is in Finder > Applications > Utilities
QUOTE Thanks
MrRich

MrRich is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool

I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to any software. It does seem Windows software for Macs doesn't work well. I use to use MSN IM sometimes. When I would open it up, it would say their would be a new version available. Even though I already downloaded the newer version and was already using it! :rolleyes:

I really don't know anyone on MSN so it doesn't matter. I try to keep my Mac Microsoft free. I'm not a "hater," MSN IM, Windows Media Player (when I can't use QT for the files) always seem to give me problems. Microsoft Offices loves to quit on me. I hope I never have to use Virtual PC.

If I wanted crashes and software that will not enrich my life, I could have just gotten any PC with XP. Or 2000 back in those days.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

I have a tendency to agree that it's well worth a go at finding 'nix apps for everything. Your last line about pc/xp may seem a tad tough, but let's remember it's sadly well deserved. I never wanted M$ or doz to suck, and I think if it didn't, we would all be on a M$/pc/doz forum discussing things for that
QUOTE Thanks
MrRich

MrRich is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Your last line about pc/xp may seem a tad tough, but let's remember it's sadly well deserved. I never wanted M$ or doz to suck, and I think if it didn't, we would all be on a M$/pc/doz forum discussing things for that
Yeah really, but I just tell it like it is. lol I figured I would get my quick Microsoft view out of the way before I get too deep into posting. lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Pit | OFF TOPIC: Response Time »