New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

A funny e-mail I received satirizing the state of the U.S. educational system...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

My cousin sent me this e-mail and I felt obliged to share it with you all. I think it really captures what's wrong with our educational system.

Evolution of Teaching Math in the U.S.

Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production
is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

is 4/5 of the price, or $80 What is his profit?

Teaching Math in 1970

is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of
$20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and
squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2006

Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera por $100. El cargo de
produccion es $80. Cuantas tortillas se puede comprar?

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

This is satire? :yinyang:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKitten View Post
This is satire? :yinyang:
sat·ire [sat-ahyuhr] –noun: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

I think so.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Yes, it's satire.

...Although education was not anywhere near as good in the 50s as it is now.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

LOL ~ my question was totally...
fa·ce·tious (f-sshs)

ADJECTIVE:
Playfully jocular; humorous: facetious remarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKitten View Post
LOL ~ my question was totally...
fa·ce·tious (f-sshs)

ADJECTIVE:
Playfully jocular; humorous: facetious remarks.
Your definition looks more professional than mine. Where'd you get it from? I used dictionary.com.

QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCustomer99 View Post
Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera por $100. El cargo de produccion es $80. Cuantas tortillas se puede comprar?
National language anyone? I'm ready to pass the law and build the wall :bone:

EDIT: Sweet, 200th post
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Quote:
My cousin sent me this e-mail and I felt obliged to share it with you all. I think it really captures what's wrong with our educational system.

Evolution of Teaching Math in the U.S.

Teaching Math In 1950

is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

is 4/5 of the price, or $80 What is his profit?

Teaching Math in 1970

is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of
$20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and
squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2006

Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera por $100. El cargo de
produccion es $80. Cuantas tortillas se puede comprar?
It is a racist joke. It is a joke, because "Teaching math in 1990" is also not the correct picture of how math was thought back then.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntalin View Post
It is a racist joke. It is a joke, because "Teaching math in 1990" is also not the correct picture of how math was thought back then.
I think he sacrificed accuracy for comedic effect.

QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartconnect View Post
National language anyone? I'm ready to pass the law and build the wall :bone:
Yeah...I totally disagree. We have better things to spend money on than a wall.

Oh...like education.

National language? Sounds like politics to me. Why do people fear other cultures so much? Hispanics are as much a part of this country as any other group, including whites. ...this country is so great because of our diversity, not in spite of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesybanana View Post
Yeah...I totally disagree. We have better things to spend money on than a wall.

Oh...like education.

National language? Sounds like politics to me. Why do people fear other cultures so much? Hispanics are as much a part of this country as any other group, including whites. ...this country is so great because of our diversity, not in spite of it.
Thanks for that. My family is from Mexico and I'm sensitive to the whole wall building/immigrant subject. My parents came here legally but I still think it's wrong what has been said about illegal immigrants. Building a wall is not going to solve anything. Mexico needs to improve their economic system, have better jobs, so that people will stay there. As for the immigrants here, they should pass the law for a pathway to citizenship.

Just my $.02 My intention is not to turn this into a debate. I'm just stating my opinion.

QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

Ok, I'm officially abandoning this thread if this turns into an illegal immigration debate thread.

QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Quote:
Ok, I'm officially abandoning this thread if this turns into an illegal immigration debate thread.
The e-mail was pretty funny though. It reminds me of my math for teachers class. We always have to come up with word problems.

Ex. Jenny ate 1/4 of an orange on the way to school. On the way home she ate 1/3 of an apple. How much fruit did Jenny eat?

QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

We don't have to be all from the same block of cheese to like eachother.
Even though I came to study and my stay here could have been temporary, the main thing I was excited about coming to this country years ago was that I was going to meet so many people and learn about so many different cultures.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

I love diversity. Legal diversity. I do not love having to press 1 for English and I do not love dumping enormous amounts of money into the federal tax system so that more illegal aliens can suck our healthcare, penal, and social systems dry.

EDIT: Thread hijacking, I'm sorry . Back to the OP, regardless of the 2000 education status, the 1990 one made me laugh.

A lot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mobile phone concepts | Concerning GUNS and Virginia Tech »