New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I'm new

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FunkyHomosapien

What's up everyone? I need a place to talk macs so here I am.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

As a new to Mac, this may be usefule
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed.
QUOTE Thanks
KLank

Howdy and welcome to the forums ...
QUOTE Thanks
FunkyHomosapien

I've been using macs for years... but I always find cool tricks in these forums. Very useful.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MrRich

MrRich is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool

Welcome, I'm new to this board too.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Welcome welcome, all.
QUOTE Thanks
Uni

whiteshark, what does repairing permissions actually do? sorry im new 2 macs, and dont want to stuff up.

Uni/.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Im not whiteshark, but Ill answer. I think there is a big misconception on repair permissions. All your files have certain permissions that are needed so that certain "users" can use those files.. so for example if the webserver needs to access certain files, those files should be owned by 'www' and writeable by 'www' or they can be owned by anyone as long as those permissions have group or everyone writeable permissions. This is the same with core services, like say the aqua interface.. if some of the permissions get messed up bad enough, some parts of your OS might stop working. Now this is very unlikely, but it can happen. When you do an Update/Upgrade to your OS it is good to repair your permissions since the installer sometimes does not leave the owner or permissions correctly on certain files that "might" interfere with the way the OS is supposed to work, but most of the time even with wrong permissions it will usually work just fine, but you do have those times that it will indeed mess with your system.

What I am trying to say is that it's a good idea to fix your permissions every once in awhile, especially after an Update. Find a program like Onyx and just run some of the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly tasks and you'll be all good
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
What I am trying to say is that it's a good idea to fix your permissions every once in awhile, especially after an Update. Find a program like Onyx and just run some of the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly tasks and you'll be all good
I use OnyX, and it makes all my maintenance needs user-friendly.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
whiteshark, what does repairing permissions actually do? sorry im new 2 macs, and dont want to stuff up.
Uni/.
Repair permissions functions was well answered by Murlyn
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Popups, or even worse, spyware!!!!!!! aaaaa | Apple start page/privacy story »