Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   I'm new (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/5809-im-new.html)

FunkyHomosapien 04-09-2004 03:58 PM

I'm new

What's up everyone? I need a place to talk macs so here I am.

witeshark 04-09-2004 04:05 PM

As a new to Mac, this may be usefule :)
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed.
:D

KLank 04-09-2004 04:16 PM

Howdy and welcome to the forums ...

FunkyHomosapien 04-09-2004 05:00 PM

I've been using macs for years... but I always find cool tricks in these forums. Very useful.

Thanks

MrRich 04-23-2004 10:28 PM

Welcome, I'm new to this board too. :)

TylerMoney 04-24-2004 02:42 AM

Welcome welcome, all.

Uni 04-28-2004 08:17 AM

whiteshark, what does repairing permissions actually do? sorry im new 2 macs, and dont want to stuff up.

Uni/.

Murlyn 04-28-2004 11:57 AM

Im not whiteshark, but Ill answer. I think there is a big misconception on repair permissions. All your files have certain permissions that are needed so that certain "users" can use those files.. so for example if the webserver needs to access certain files, those files should be owned by 'www' and writeable by 'www' or they can be owned by anyone as long as those permissions have group or everyone writeable permissions. This is the same with core services, like say the aqua interface.. if some of the permissions get messed up bad enough, some parts of your OS might stop working. Now this is very unlikely, but it can happen. When you do an Update/Upgrade to your OS it is good to repair your permissions since the installer sometimes does not leave the owner or permissions correctly on certain files that "might" interfere with the way the OS is supposed to work, but most of the time even with wrong permissions it will usually work just fine, but you do have those times that it will indeed mess with your system.

What I am trying to say is that it's a good idea to fix your permissions every once in awhile, especially after an Update. Find a program like Onyx and just run some of the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly tasks and you'll be all good :)

Padawan 04-28-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlyn
What I am trying to say is that it's a good idea to fix your permissions every once in awhile, especially after an Update. Find a program like Onyx and just run some of the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly tasks and you'll be all good :)

I use OnyX, and it makes all my maintenance needs user-friendly. :)

witeshark 04-28-2004 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uni
whiteshark, what does repairing permissions actually do? sorry im new 2 macs, and dont want to stuff up.
Uni/.

Repair permissions functions was well answered by Murlyn :)