New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Self Defense?

Thread Closed

todd51

I was reading the news the other day about a man whose house was broken into, and the homeowner woke up, luckily the burglar fled when he heard someone was up.

Just curious if anyone has had to actually "defend" themselves or homes in situations? I personally have not, thankfully.

Tis okay if some wish to not talk about their experiences...like I said, I'm just curious.
fluffer

fluffer is a jewel in the roughfluffer is a jewel in the rough

In the UK we live in a compensation culture where the victims of crime are the ones punished due to this case - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)
- there was a change in the law allowing 'reasonable' force to defend yourself and your property. It's wide open to abuse though and due to the amount of paperwork involved in small crimes these are often not dealt with.

In dentibus anticis frustum magnum spiniciae habes
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Here is Texas, they are working on changing the laws in the other direction. The proposed change will allow anyone feeling threatened in any way by another person, whether in their home or not, the legal right to shoot first and ask questions later. This is not a joke - this is now under consideration for law in Texas.

See the following link: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Here is Texas, they are working on changing the laws in the other direction. The proposed change will allow anyone feeling threatened in any way by another person, whether in their home or not, the legal right to shoot first and ask questions later. This is not a joke - this is now under consideration for law in Texas.

See the following link: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines
Jeb Bush already got that law passed in Florida. It sure makes me feel safe to know that any A-hole who has a problem with me can just walk up and shoot me, later claiming I was "threatening him", as long as no other witnesses are around. Or, just be standing around, get hit by a stray bullet, and nobody is to blame:

Quote:
Florida legislators, who in 2005 were the first in the nation to enact a "stand your ground" statute, are already rethinking the law. The case driving a possible change involves 9-year-old Sherdavia Jenkins, who was killed by a stray bullet last summer as she played in her yard. The two men charged in her death could invoke the "stand your ground" law; each could say he was acting in self-defense during a shootout in the girl's neighborhood.
What the heck is wrong with people when this kind of activity is seen as understandable???? I hope the NRA will be proud of this victory for the two men when they both get off!! Doubt they will talk to the girl's family, but what you they say? "stuff happens, lady."

I can understand the guy in England trying to defend his home, but if he didn't have a gun he shouldn't have hadi n the first place, chances are a confused teenager would have had a chance to grow up and be a decent person. Shooting someone in the back is about the most coward-like behavior I can think of and just another example of why people shouldn't be trusted with such deadly weapons. People, as a whole, just can't be trusted with them.
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

As a retired cop I have gone through a few scenarios with my wife in case she is at home and someone breaks into our home. I still have my duty weapon that was signed over to me when I retired, and she is well aware of how to use it . The main thing I told her was if they are in our house and you shoot them, just make sure they fall inside, and not outside. (just kidding) With that being said I'm not an advocate to shoot people just because they break into my house, BUT, if she is threatened in any way she and I will defend ourselves.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffer View Post
In the UK we live in a compensation culture where the victims of crime are the ones punished due to this case - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)
- there was a change in the law allowing 'reasonable' force to defend yourself and your property. It's wide open to abuse though and due to the amount of paperwork involved in small crimes these are often not dealt with.
Oh smooth referring to a man that Shoot Someone hid the Gun and then left them to die. Not exactly the actions of an innocent man now is it?

Here is what the CPS says...
Quote:
As a general rule, the more extreme the circumstances and the fear felt, the more force you can lawfully use in self-defence.
The fact that Tony Martin first laid in wait for the Criminals, gives the fact that it wasn't an act of Self Defence through fear and was actually a cold calculated murder. He knew that they would return and instead of making steps to protect himself he purchased a Gun illegally and killed them.

Back on Topic, I've never had to but a Friend of the Family found one in the House and he beat him up and throw him out of the Upstairs window, he received a Prison Sentence. He didn't believe in the Incapacitate and wait method.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
cherry

cherry is a jewel in the roughcherry is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: leopard macbook pro 17" | ipod touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Jeb Bush already got that law passed in Florida. It sure makes me feel safe to know that any A-hole who has a problem with me can just walk up and shoot me, later claiming I was "threatening him", as long as no other witnesses are around.
So i guess eventually we'll all have to tote pieces to defend ourselves from people who are "easily threatened".
I guess the next step would be to make dueling legal again? :bomb:

todd51

Illinois is decently strict on their gun laws despite all the amount of country and Republicans. Chicago just filled with so many Democrats it's ubsurd.
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
As a retired cop I have gone through a few scenarios with my wife in case she is at home and someone breaks into our home. I still have my duty weapon that was signed over to me when I retired, and she is well aware of how to use it . The main thing I told her was if they are in our house and you shoot them, just make sure they fall inside, and not outside. (just kidding) With that being said I'm not an advocate to shoot people just because they break into my house, BUT, if she is threatened in any way she and I will defend ourselves.
Isn't it true that if a burglar you shoot is inside your house, it is a self defense. But, if a burglar (alleged) you shoot was not in your house yet, then it is not self defense (a murder)?

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntalin View Post
Isn't it true that if a burglar you shoot is inside your house, it is a self defense. But, if a burglar (alleged) you shoot was not in your house yet, then it is not self defense (a murder)?
The law varies from state to state, and sad to say how good a person's lawyer is.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntalin View Post
California has some contridictions in its laws. In real life if the burglar is out side the house and you shoot, most likely you will go to jail, and be wide open to all kinds of lawsuits. If the burglar is inside the house it's a bit different, but you will still be open to all kinds lf lawsuits and legal hassles.

Ask any cop and they will tell you if he is outside, drag him inside before calling them... But no matter which way you go in California your going to be in for big time legal hassles and lawsuits. California courts seem bent on defending the law breakers and punishing the victums.

NEVER shoot em in the back, your dead meat in California courts if you do...

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Ask any cop and they will tell you if he is outside, drag him inside before calling them...
In which case it will look like you are trying to make a murder look like self defence and will definitely get some "legal hassles".

Amen-Moses
dadude1083

dadude1083 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x

Never had to defend my home. Had my house broken into twice now, though. I always carry my Lexan Knuckles with me for self defence.
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses View Post
In which case it will look like you are trying to make a murder look like self defence and will definitely get some "legal hassles".

Amen-Moses
This is true if they can prove it.... but what they are telling you is DO NOT shoot them outside the house...or your in deep deep doo...and in California anytime you pull a trigger you got problems no matter what. The courts are famous for things like giving burglars large amounts in cases where they have been hurt. You don't even have to be there, if they break in to your place and get hurt in the process they can sue and manytimes win.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
Tak

Tak is a jewel in the roughTak is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server

Didn't we just HAVE this thread?

We have concealed carry here, and yes it has saved one life already in my house. And when I used to deliver pizza it saved it a few times.

I have never had to shoot anyone. But to say that the carry laws allow anyone to "shoot first and ask questions later" is pure propaganda.

If I was to actually shoot someone, even in the most justified self defense, I'd spend a week in jail and a LOT of time in court. And if my endangerment was not VERY cut and dried, I'd be in for a lot of legal trouble and jail.

But for those of us who live in places where the police don't often show up it is quite literally the only thing between us, the gangs, and in the case of some of my friends the hate crimes.

Thread Closed

« I am going to London in a couple months, what should I do? | Weird Monkey Baby! »