New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Macbook - Educational Discount!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justincredible

Justincredible is an unknown at this point

Hey guys, i have a question. I know its sort of cheating the system, but is it okay to do it? I just graduated from college and planning on buying a macbook for Law school. However, i'm not eligible for a educational discount because im CURRENTLY not in school. Can i just click "accept" on the apple website and get the educational discount. It seems like its just an honor system procedure. (Will they request a certain ID or classes I'm taking?!?) Let me know, because $100 discount for me is a big difference. Thanks guys.

OR is it okay for a friend who is in College to purchase it for me via APPLE WEBSITE?!?! But i dont really see the incentive in that...might as well do it myself...u know?!?!?
QUOTE Thanks
joism

joism is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook, Core 2 Duo, 2.0 ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD

Yes, you can do that. When you purchase online, there isn't a verification procedure.
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

I even got the $100 off at a local computer store. I asked if they could match the discount so I could get it that day and they said "yup"
QUOTE Thanks
Justincredible

Justincredible is an unknown at this point

this website is soo cool. I love it that i always get a response to any MAC question that i have. Thanks to all and already, I'm loving APPLE...hope ill love the mac's, being my first apple laptop i'll be getting...^_^ SOO EXCITED.
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

my macbook is the first mac I've used since 8th grade (original iMacs back then....collect all 5 ) and I love it
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Technically, if you think about it, we're all students regardless of how old we are, as long as we learn something new everyday :black:

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
rotary

rotary is an unknown at this point

Justincredible from Rage3D/MB?
QUOTE Thanks
zeroz52

zeroz52 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
I even got the $100 off at a local computer store. I asked if they could match the discount so I could get it that day and they said "yup"
You did this without an ID? I'll be buying mine soon and am enrolled but dont have an ID card as I'm only part time....
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by joism View Post
When you purchase online, there isn't a verification procedure.
Not directly, but there is a verification process. Apple will check with the university who has the account for a student/school store with them. Then, if Apple doesn't find a match with the buyer's name on record with the school's site used to make the purchase, they can and will most likely bill you for the difference.
I know this, because someone I know once bought a PowerBook, but only after he dropped out and lost his student status. Apple did catch up with him about 2 months later and charged the difference of the discount to his credit card. They had ever right to do so, seeing that he was never eligible for the discount.
So, it comes down to the luck of the draw. Apple may audit all of the sales, or perhaps a select few. I would not advise that anyone try to "cheat the system". :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
TechieMaiden

TechieMaiden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Black

just get your friends help-- still somewhat legit
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMaiden View Post
just get your friends help-- still somewhat legit
Actually no, that's not at all legit. Read the T&C for the student discount. You can't buy equipment for other people.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
TechieMaiden

TechieMaiden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Actually no, that's not at all legit. Read the T&C for the student discount. You can't buy equipment for other people.
you know- i didnt really think about that, i actually didnt read it- i was a student at the time using my own id and knew i qualified... sorry to lead you astray justin and thanks for the correction
QUOTE Thanks
HKphotographer

HKphotographer is on a distinguished road

I am a student and I'm going to get a macbook. What I'm unsure is what Apple defines as students. I seems that only students in university are qualitified. I am a College student (in a UK sense) so do I qualify?
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKphotographer View Post
I am a student and I'm going to get a macbook. What I'm unsure is what Apple defines as students. I seems that only students in university are qualitified. I am a College student (in a UK sense) so do I qualify?
Yes, depends on how old you are. If you are over 18 then you can buy via the UK website. If you are under 18 then you have to get your parents to do it for you. (I know it sucks but it's the rules).

The follwing is quoted directly from the website.

The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education Individuals:
- a teacher, lecturer, tutor or other supervisor of students at a UK education establishment
- a student aged 18 and over with a valid student card, attending, or accepted into, a UK education establishment
- a parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into a UK Higher or Further Education establishment

This is the page I got the info from.
QUOTE Thanks
HKphotographer

HKphotographer is on a distinguished road

I read this too but what is " Higher or Further Education establishment"?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« scariest film | 3 hard drives in 3 years... acceptable? >>> »