New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

New iMac design?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pastle

pastle is on a distinguished road

I really want the 24" i mac but just know the (chin?) at the bottom of the monitor will really bother me, having to look up to see the top of the screen. I think it would be better if they put the computer works in the back of the monitor like the new Sony Vio (sp?) does. Is there any chance they might do that in the future?
I know I could get the mac pro but can't afford that and having to buy a monitor on top of the system.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastle View Post
I really want the 24" i mac but just know the (chin?) at the bottom of the monitor will really bother me, having to look up to see the top of the screen. I think it would be better if they put the computer works in the back of the monitor like the new Sony Vio (sp?) does. Is there any chance they might do that in the future?
I know I could get the mac pro but can't afford that and having to buy a monitor on top of the system.
chin?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...1F78&nclm=iMac

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

the iMac's chin is the part where the Apple logo is. Nobody is really sure when iMac will be updated.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

weird.. I never had an issue with it when I had my imac..

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

I didn't really either - but we aren't the OP. Like many things, it boils down to personal preference.
QUOTE Thanks
pastle

A lot of people set their monitor up on something to make it higher. I set mine on the desk because I like it low. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and bifocals and it
bothers me to have to look up too high.
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Guess it depends on your set up. My 20" is even with my eyes when I'm sitting at my desk. I don't look up at all. Maybe you need to adjust your desk or chair. I don't even notice the bottom part with the apple logo on it, it's just there.

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol247 View Post
Guess it depends on your set up. My 20" is even with my eyes when I'm sitting at my desk. I don't look up at all. Maybe you need to adjust your desk or chair. I don't even notice the bottom part with the apple logo on it, it's just there.
Yea same, however if you think it's going to annoy you then defiantly don't get it. Noting worse than having to put up with a product for the next couple of years that you don't like.

Or Why not get a 24" Monitor with a Mac Mini? Dell Monitors are meant to be quite good :cool:

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

I personally think the "chin" makes it look really slick...
QUOTE Thanks
pastle

Thanks guys, I don't think the mac mini is powerful enough. I love the 24" but the top of the screen would be too high I think.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I found my 20-inch Cinema Display too low for my preferences. The 20-inch iMac is just right.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I'm also not a fan of the iMac because of the "chin"

I like things to be very clean and minimal and I feel the same abut flat panel TV's that have a lot of "stuff" around the outside. Like speakers; who needs speakers on a nice TV like that? If you have the $$ for get the nice big crean, chances are you're not going to cheap out on sound and get a surround sound system. The speakers are usually a cheap afterthought that needs to be left out.

That aside, I just like to see only what I need to see. Everything else should be out of sight. Most of all, it detracts from the size of the screen. To have that big area just for a logo, as someone mentioned, seems a little lame, corporate greed-ish and in bad taste. I know Apple has the ability to do what is suggested, so why not?

Anyway, my 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
pastle

I would get the mac pro with a regular monitor if I could afford it. Until then I may have to stick with Dell. (as much as I would hate to.)
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastle View Post
I would get the mac pro with a regular monitor if I could afford it. Until then I may have to stick with Dell. (as much as I would hate to.)
well then why not get say.... a macbook and a dell display? what will you be using the computer for? if its just normal everyday use, a Mac Pro is really not necessary (unless of course your normal everyday use is video and photo editing, or the like...)
QUOTE Thanks
pastle

I don't really want a laptop. I want a desktop computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where Apple really got the OS X "Big Cat" names from | Apple's has some EU issues to deal with. »