Specs:
    Mac Book
    Linksys - how do you sign up?
    If anyone remembers my previous plea for help I'd like to say thanks to all of you who replied - you were very helpful & I got it sorted.

I am in Manchester, UK & my Airport is detecting a wireless network named 'linksys'. I go through all the motions to connect but then it asks for a password which I don't have. I'm assuming you have to sign up or something but I've googled linksys & can only find modems & routers & the like.

Anybody know how I get hooked up to this 'linksys'?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Am assuming based on your post that you do not have internet access yourself.

If this is the case, what you are seeing I would presume will be one of your neighbors wireless networks they have named linksys. You will not be able to access this network unless you either: A) get them to give you the 'password' and let you use their internet access, or B) hack into their network (not likely and I would think illegal).
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    That Linksys network you are seeing is a neighbors router. I am sure they have it passworded so others can't join it. If you did you would be stealing their internet. Not a good thing to do! :spook:

Specs:
    Mac's
    Linksys most be somebody elses wireless network you won't be able to connect to that (legally anyway)....

you'll need to set-up your own wireless network....

1st you'll need an internet provider (probably your local cable TV company).... do you have that?

Specs:
    Mac Book
    Cheers guys, I guess it's a neighbour's network. This house has internet access though when I phoned the provider they said I needed to buy a router then contact them again to make it compatible with my mac.

Specs:
    C2D MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Cheers guys, I guess it's a neighbour's network. This house has internet access though when I phoned the provider they said I needed to buy a router then contact them again to make it compatible with my mac.
    Routers are cheap (around $40 USD) and easy to install. A worthy investment. Just remember to password protect yours

Thread Information