New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Holy Stock Market plunge Batman!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Anyone see what happened at the close of the market today? OUCH!

CNBC footage of the plunge: (LINK). Lets hope for a better day tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

With the market being so bloated, you would expect it to make some adjustments.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but that's a WHOLE LOT of "adjustment"in one day... one afternoon.
QUOTE Thanks
CarlConti08

CarlConti08 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD

part of it was a computer malfunction. the dow dropped 200 points in 2 min. that probably caused a chain reaction of selling and basically everything dropped. (slowly shakes his head) they should've used macs.

QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

And China talks of no longer allowing investors to leverage stocks on credit. Causing their market to fall.. The Chinese market tipped the "domino", and everyone was selling.
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Oh god...heh.

I am looking into jumping into investing right now. Makes me a little scared honestly.

Ah...just checked the mutual funds my college money is in. I just lost >$600 today
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

its funny you bring this up ride, about the middle of the day today my boss looks over at me and says " well there went my retirement" I asked why and he said " the stock market went down the toilet!"

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hmmm... a new "Black Tuesday"?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Gets pretty scary when you think of how much money people have riding on the stock market. Guess it time to buckle our seat belts and hang on for the roller coaster ride.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

i really dont think it is a big deal. people forget that our unemployment rate is somewhere near 4.5% and such. i think our economy is doing amazing and i for one think this 400 point drop is something that is inevitable but doesnt really have a largescale effect on us as individuals.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

...and at least at the moment, the market is up today. Not recovering all of yesterday's losses, but up at least.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Yes, it's a good sign of stabilization. Glad to see it.
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

it dropped the most in china it was lik 9.9% or something, today people are going to be buying like crazy because prices will be so low

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I was expecting something like this to happen since it was sitting at record highs for so long. I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped even more. But prediction of such a chaotic system is impossible, so we'll have to just see what happens.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

It is interesting how globalized our economy is now. A plunge in China translated into a plunge here almost immediately.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ANOTHER dvd ripping question. | My first Opera... »