New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Silver Carbon Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

manguyen

manguyen is on a distinguished road

Alrigh so i spent my weekend overlaying my macbook case in Silver carbon fiber (i have a white macbook) or else i would of done black carbon fiber. The picture is just the stage im in... i still need to do another layer of epoxy over the CF weave and then hit it with some clear coat... tell me what you think...

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,590,442
QUOTE Thanks
manguyen

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,590,442

I worked on this saturday night... still got some things left to do to it to complete. what do you guys think? i wanted something different... and i saw a guy did a carbon overlay and though that was cheesy so i did it with the real thing...
QUOTE Thanks
manguyen

come on guys i need some feedback... i dont care if its good or bad....
QUOTE Thanks
IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD

Cool looking!
QUOTE Thanks
Huey69

Huey69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz

It looks pretty cool to me. I'd like to see it in person(i think it probally looks a bit better in person then in the photo?).
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

^^^^^
Same here.

And I hope it wasn't under warranty...

Since carbon fiber is reflective, the photo looks a little bit weird to me. Do you think you could get a better picture without the backlighting? Did you just coat your MacBook with resin and then lay the fiber over it? I am wondering how you went about doing it...

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
manguyen

it is reflective.. i just used the window to show the apple logo... im going to dremel that out... I bought used covers off ebay to do this... and not on my own cover. I first sanded down the cover and then mixed my epoxy... i let the epoxy sit on the cover for about 2-3 hours before i layed the Silver CF( its actually fiberglass with a coat over it.. no such thing as silver CF ...... in person its very reflective.... the process took about 12 hours and probably another 8 for the final process of clear coating and all that.... i think it looks nice and its something different. I'm in search of a black macbook case to do this with my Plain Weave black CF. Does anyone have interest in this and willing to purchase it if i overlayed them?
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

So wait u actualy did that to ur macbook or is that a p-shop
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

Not my style at all, but it's always cool to be original!
QUOTE Thanks
spudd4242

spudd4242 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD

yea i dont like it either
QUOTE Thanks
manguyen

bump for more comments
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I remember seeing a black carbon fiber overlay on a Macbook a couple weeks back. That looked pretty cool, definitely original.

Have you finished the work yet? I would love to see a picture of the final product. Did you take pictures during the process? Maybe you could do a build log for us full of pictures. I'm sure people would love to see you go about your work, I know I would :black:
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Looks like a pair of corduroy pants! kinda cool. I just put stickers of bands on mine. Nothing fancy.
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

show more pics please, i cant get a real impression on how it looks from the picture you offered, show it on a table with a view other than on overhead
QUOTE Thanks
manguyen

look out in the near future... there still needs to be some work done to it... i will post pictures of the finished product soon... i just need to trim around the edges and also need to cut out the apple logo and insert the original plastic apple in.... then a final gel coat over the thing...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scratched Macbook Pro - is there anything I can do? | an important time in any man's life... »