New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

What to buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bry3

bry3 is on a distinguished road

So I received my annual bonus today, so I'm debating whether to buy a 37" lcd HDTV or a refurbed MacBook. What do u guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
SilverEagle5

SilverEagle5 has a spectacular aura about

Personally, I'd go with the TV. You can never have too big of a TV. Can't really go wrong with either, though.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry3 View Post
So I received my annual bonus today, so I'm debating whether to buy a 37" lcd HDTV or a refurbed MacBook. What do u guys think?
I'd go with the TV if you already have a Mac of some sort. The MacBook is a great machine, but if you're in need of a decent TV, go for that first.
QUOTE Thanks
papercut

papercut will become famous soon enough

Bry3,

I'm nearly in the same boat. Got a bit of a bonus in January and would like to splurge on some electronics. I was hoping that Steve would announce Leopard and some new Mac hardware soon. If he remains silent much longer, my cash is headed toward the LCD HDTV.

Since I have old technology for both existing computer and TV, I know I can't make a bad decision -- I just can't decide when to hit the BUY button.

If you get the LCD, get the largest screen that you can afford and that will fit in your house/apartment. I have a friend with a 42" plasma and he's always whining that he should have purchased a larger set.

papercut
--
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Depends on what you really need the most. What kind of computer are you using now, or do you have one? Do you already have a tv and just want a bigger one? Guess if you can't afford an tv and a macbook then you have a hard choice to make. Personally, I spend more time on the computer than the tv. And I agree with papercut, get the largest screen that you can afford and that will fit with your house or apartment. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I love my MacBook, but it would also be nice to have a nice TV. I'd be split if I were in your shoes too. Depends on what computer and what TV you already have.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

My thought would be on the computer side. Yet it isn't necessarily an easy decision.

What do you need for computing? What do you want to do? I almost always want more computing equipment, but it's always a bunch of trade-offs. How much more can I do with a new machine, and how much more time will I need to spend managing it? If a new machine is a replacement machine, then the doing and managing is probably not much of an issue. If it's an additional machine, then it's a matter of issues such as when and where are you going to use it, how much will you use it, how are you going to sync data across machines, and how are you going to configure the machine and keep all of the software up-to-date. Easy as some of these things can be in the Mac world, they still take some time and effort. While money can be an issue on some of these (duplicate commercial s/w licenses, for instance), time can be a more onerous expense.

Prior to my new refurbed MacBook, I had 4 machines - two towers, two laptops, all of which are dual boot. Like I really needed another machine and completely different operating system. -_^ So I bought the MacBook anyway.

Go for it. I'd go for the MacBook. Besides, what the heck? This is the Mac-Forums. You mean there's anything we should want outside the Mac?! :mac:

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
bry3

So I decided to buy the LCD tv. I ended up going w/ a 37" Vizio VX37 tv. I've been reading up on it for the past 3 weeks. and everything I've read was positive. I got it for $899 at costco. So far, I've been pleased with it. I can't wait til my HD programming is turned on. Oh playing DVDs are frickin' awesome on it too.
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I've looked into Vizio's and that seems like a good deal. I kinda wanted to get one too since they are such a high quality set for the price but north central Illinois, for some reason, cannot have a Costco anywhere. I guess I could go to Sam's club though.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
bry3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCustomer99 View Post
I've looked into Vizio's and that seems like a good deal. I kinda wanted to get one too since they are such a high quality set for the price but north central Illinois, for some reason, cannot have a Costco anywhere. I guess I could go to Sam's club though.
Yeah they have them at Sam's too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question | My GarageBand creations... »