Specs:
    iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
    Next Gen Macbook Pro
    Anyone have any idea what video card the next generation Macbook Pro will have?

I want to buy a Macbook Pro in the next year or two to replace my iBook G4 12". And I want to be able to have a dual-boot Windows XP machine so I can play a game or two, specifically Counterstrike Source and Warcraft 3.

I used to play Counterstrike Source on my PC which had an Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB of ram and a 6800GT. Obviously I don't expect the Macbook Pro to have that much firepower in the video card under the hood as it would eat battery life too quickly.

However, the X1600 Pro is a pretty bad video card. That thing is only marginally better than an old Radeon 9600 Pro, and I highly doubt it would be able to play Counterstrike Source well at all. Does anyone know if the next generation of Macbook Pros will have a more adequate video card installed? For example, maybe a 7800Go?

From everything I've seen, the X1600 is a middle-of-the-road gaming card. It's not the latest greatest, but it's about the best out there if you aren't willing to sacrifice battery life completely. It's run NWN2 and Oblivion just fine for me.

As for what video card will come in a MBP in 1-2 years, who knows? It could easily be a card that doesn't even exist today.

Specs:
    2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
    Anyone have any idea what video card the next generation Macbook Pro will have?

I want to buy a Macbook Pro in the next year or two to replace my iBook G4 12". And I want to be able to have a dual-boot Windows XP machine so I can play a game or two, specifically Counterstrike Source and Warcraft 3.

I used to play Counterstrike Source on my PC which had an Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB of ram and a 6800GT. Obviously I don't expect the Macbook Pro to have that much firepower in the video card under the hood as it would eat battery life too quickly.

However, the X1600 Pro is a pretty bad video card. That thing is only marginally better than an old Radeon 9600 Pro, and I highly doubt it would be able to play Counterstrike Source well at all. Does anyone know if the next generation of Macbook Pros will have a more adequate video card installed? For example, maybe a 7800Go?
    I'm running CounterStrike Source just fine on my 17" MBP... runs better than on my PC.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
    My Setup

Specs:
    PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
    Halo runs well on my PowerBook - Which has 64MB of graphics memory.

It runs even better on my 17 inch iMac CoreDuo with that graphics card.

Not sure about CS and it's performance.

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I run Source on my 15" MBP and it looks fine to me. Granted it was a step up from my old PC, but it still looks great and I get about 100fps, which is plenty good for any player.

do any of you have any problems with overheating when you boot windows and run steam games like that? (HL, HL2, SOURCE, etc.)

Specs:
    2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
    No problems overheating at all. Just make sure you are on a hard surface, like a table or desk, or that you have it elevated for airflow. Right now I'm using my MBP on a padded card-table at my parents house (my wife & I are visiting for the long weekend) and I just have a book under about 1" of the back to give room for some airflow. You don't even notice that it's raised at all.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
    My Setup

Thread Information