New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Noobish question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

floyd923

floyd923 is an unknown at this point

Ok, so here is the noobish question of all, that I can't seem to get a straight answer. Is Core 2 Duo always a 64-bit processor? Or is there a 32bit version? I ask this because even the Intel site described C2D as being CAPABLE of 64 bit performance, never actually stating that it is a 64 bit processor.

Am I reading to much into this?

didn't know where to post this, so it ended up here....
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Core Duos are 32 bit and Core 2 Duos are 64 bit.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

good answer jeff

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The Core2Duo is a 64 bit chip. However, it can run in 32 bit mode, just like the 64 bit G5 chip can. Right now, Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x is 32 bit software and so the Core2Duo runs in 32 bit mode. When Leopard comes out, which is reputed to support 64 bit, the Core2Duo should run in 64 bit mode.

So, in a sense the Core2Duo can be both, depending on the software it is running.

Anyone here old enough to remember the days of Windows 3.1, when the 32 bit extensions for Windows 95 started showing up early, and suddenly (gasp!) your Pentium would step up to 32 bits and run like a hot knife through butter (...well it seemed like that at the time anyway). I remember that my WFWG system suddenly seemed twice as fast when I installed the 32 bit file system and the other 32 bit extensions. It sure seemed fast at the time.

It is a similar idea to the Core2Duo. The early Pentiums were already 32 bit chips, but capable of running in 16 bit mode if presented with 16 bit software (Windows, DOS). But when presented with 32 bit software, they flipped to 32 bit mode and ran like crazy.

I understand that we wont see nearly the performance boost going from 32 to 64 that we saw going from 16 to 32, simply because CPU chips have been so optimized these days that it just doesn't make that much difference. I have read some articles that say that the G5 chips may even run a little slower when running in 64 bit mode! Sheesh!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
floyd923

floyd923 is an unknown at this point

Thanks everyone for clearing this up.

Ah yes, I remember 3.1, I also remember Dos. But even before that I remember booting up in Basic! Sheesh, I am not that old am I?

10 PRINT "Hello Mac-Forums"
20 GOTO 10
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
The Core2Duo is a 64 bit chip. However, it can run in 32 bit mode, just like the 64 bit G5 chip can. Right now, Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x is 32 bit software and so the Core2Duo runs in 32 bit mode. When Leopard comes out, which is reputed to support 64 bit, the Core2Duo should run in 64 bit mode.

So, in a sense the Core2Duo can be both, depending on the software it is running.

Anyone here old enough to remember the days of Windows 3.1, when the 32 bit extensions for Windows 95 started showing up early, and suddenly (gasp!) your Pentium would step up to 32 bits and run like a hot knife through butter (...well it seemed like that at the time anyway). I remember that my WFWG system suddenly seemed twice as fast when I installed the 32 bit file system and the other 32 bit extensions. It sure seemed fast at the time.

It is a similar idea to the Core2Duo. The early Pentiums were already 32 bit chips, but capable of running in 16 bit mode if presented with 16 bit software (Windows, DOS). But when presented with 32 bit software, they flipped to 32 bit mode and ran like crazy.

I understand that we wont see nearly the performance boost going from 32 to 64 that we saw going from 16 to 32, simply because CPU chips have been so optimized these days that it just doesn't make that much difference. I have read some articles that say that the G5 chips may even run a little slower when running in 64 bit mode! Sheesh!
Tiger is partially 64 bit, i.e the underlying BSD Core (Darwin) is mostly 64 bit but the overlaying software (Aqua, apps etc) is 32 bit.

Leopard will be totally 64 bit (or at least everything Apple created will be) but will run all 32 bit stuff out there.

I'm old enough that when my PC owning buddies were going through the 8/16bit transition to some 32 bit apps I was quite happily using my fully 32 bit RiscOS system.

Mind you, prior to that I was using the 8/32 bit QL (8 bit system bus/32 bit processor) so I never quite understood their pain.

Last year I ran the 64 bit version of XP on and AMD PC and it was pretty cool, the only problem was that I could run basically one program that used the power, i.e the 64 bit version of Far Cry, but boy was it impressive!

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I will hope that I may be as impressed by 64 bit software as I was when I first ran into 32 bit software. Back in the day, that was something. Here's hoping that 64 bit software can seem equally impressive!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12. | Picture request »