D Desktops Came across this from BumpTop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODs...elated&search=" /> 3D Desktops - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services

New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

3D Desktops

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Came across this from BumpTop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODs...elated&search=
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

that looks to complicated for the simple desktop. i would rather use the standerd OS X interface then that

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Exactly my thoughts mate!

Other than the photo flipping at the end which it would be useful for (Such as a photo folder instead of on the desktop) I find it completely pointless! Who has 3 million things like that on the desktop anyway!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Cool interface, but I think they are taking the "desktop"metaphore a bit to seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Who has 3 million things like that on the desktop anyway!
Well, the default desktop of every PC in stores has a zillion icons on them, everyone has to get their share of space in the sale arena.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Double post. please remove.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Sun Microsystems came out in 2003 with a demo of what they called Project Looking Glass.

If you can get the video to play (very heavy traffic I think), check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

wow thats an interesting idea but seems so uneccesary.

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

one benifit of a computer for data storage to elminate piles and unorganized data. This brings them back

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

There is a school of thought that says organization is unnecessary. If you have meta data tags on everything, you can just use a a high powered search engine (something like Spotlight) and find what you want as you go. In fact, spotlight is a step in that direction, but I don't think it's ever going to catch on fully. People like to organize and control. A mass of files means disorganization and loss of control.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I heard about this sort of thing a while ago. Here is a video of the same principle, but even cooler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKqyn-gUbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sz8...elated&search=

Practical? Not really. Very cool to look at? You bet.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Actually, I think it looks very interesting. The real question in my mind is resource management: how much juice is it going to take (in terms of memory and cpu) just to have your desktop open?
QUOTE Thanks
Subwall

Subwall will become famous soon enough

yeah, i have a real desktop right here by my computer with paper spread all over it. my computer on the other hand, is neat, clean, organized and clutter free. there are files and folders for everything and i know where to find them. the ultimate goal is to make the "organized chaos" on my real desktop as organized as my computer, not vice versa.

it seems to be well thought out and executed, just not a good idea IMO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thanks all | what's the percentage of mac users to pc users/owners? »