New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

iMac - Should I buy a iMac or wait a bit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gobiwaq

gobiwaq is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4

Newbie apologises in advance.........

I've been using my ibook g4 for about 2 years. I bought a laptop because I thought I would be on the move- but in the end that wasn't the case. My g4 isnt performing as well as it used to and I've been editing movies so I'm thinking of getting an iMac.

Thing is, I'm worried 12months down the line its going to be replaced by something better.
I scoured the internet but found nothing definite.

Is it a good time to buy do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Definitely get it now, or wait for Leopard. If the worst case scenario you pointed out
Quote:
12months down the line its going to be replaced by something better.
Actually happens then you've had the use of a great machine for a whole year and it is still a great machine. There will always be something better released at some point, all you need to worry about is if the machine you have suits your needs - it will probably still do so in a years time.

Basicly, if you worry about what's due out next year you will have your ibook forever.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

There's always something better 12 months down the road, but thinking like that will mean you never would buy a computer.

Some were expecting some news at Macworld last month, but there wasn't any. Leopard might be announced in a couple of months, but there's unlikely to be any iMac changes in the next few months.
QUOTE Thanks
RoosterTeacher

RoosterTeacher is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4, Ti 15", 512MB RAM, OSX Tiger

At the present time, I would wait for Leopard if I could. You can expect the hardware to be upgraded every year but what really matters is whether or not you can run the software you need and the OS.

In my case, my computer works fine (5 year old PowerBook) so I'll hang on for the next OS upgrade since it is in the forseeable future.

If I needed a new computer now, I wouldn't be too concerned with buying today though. I bought my PowerBook two OS upgrades ago, skipped the first one, and upgraded to Tiger 18 months ago. Your new Mac will run Leopard fine if you need to upgrade and Tiger will probably be supported until whatever comes after Leopard is out (even longer most likely).

My main reason to wait is that I can wait and so I might as well get the latest OS pre-loaded.
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

I doubt anything new will be coming from Apple in the computer line at the moment, after all, intel haven't really got any new chips in the pipeline (well they have, but none that apple will use).

And of course they are really busy with the iPhone...

The only thing you might want to hang on for is Leopard and iLife '07...
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I'm in a similar position, but upgrading from a mini to an iMac.

If I had the money right now I'd buy this very minute, then you get a sweet, stable machine and a sweet and stable operating system. I'm sure Leopard will be great once it comes out but Tiger's great, too.

Buy now.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
andrewmiller25

andrewmiller25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4

If you have the money, buy now
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Buy now..I did and I'm not sorry. I'll just upgrade when anything comes out and in the meantime I'm using a great machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Secret Failures of Microsoft | Again I'm reminded why I love my Mac... »