New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How long does your mac take to boot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

Ok so yet again im still unhappy with the way my new mac pro is running (sorry for the endless number of threads i post asking about problems i'm having)

But how long does your mac take to boot up? When i first got my new mac and for a good week or two it was damm quick, turn it on, next im entering password then im good to go.. Now its taking 2 whole minutes just to boot up?!

Now ive been running macjanitor and onyx and my mac has generally been quite good - altho i haven't seen my different in performance between the new mac and my old pc! The only thing that has happened is since my last post of problems is ive plugged in my ipod. My ipod had been dead for over a year so i decided i would see if it will magcally come back to life and it did! iTune restored it and it started working again, but then while putting some music onto manually OSX crashed and i could'nt shut down or anything unless i unplugged the ipod.. So i restarted and plugged it in again and this time itunes crashed as soon as i plugged in my ipod and now whenever i plug in my external hard drive or USB stick etc itunes crashes and OSX freezes for a few seconds. Could my iPod have had something on it thats now infected my mac?

Not only this but the finder on my second hard drive takes alot longer to open up and i can hear rather odd loud noises coming from my tower when things are loading it.

A friend of a friend is an apple tech so im thinking of getting him round to do a complete fresh install of OSX and start over again. i really didn't expect to have so many problems with my new machine, i think i must be jinxed!

My last question is.. how long after you have purchased a mac can you return it if you are not happy with it? and how do you go about doing it?

Thanks guys, you have been a great help this last few weeks!
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

My Macbook Pro boots really fast! I'm not sure how long but well under 30 seconds.

I think generally you get 14 days to return it for a refund. After that you're covered by a year of Apple Care although that entitled you to fixes and replacements rather than a refund. Can anyone ratify that?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Can you start up and tell us what programs are open in Activity Monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Do a fresh install(Format & Install) before making any conclusions. Perhaps it is some kind of a software bug.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

17 Seconds from "Off" to Desktop. (PowerMac G5)

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

39 seconds from off to desktop. (PowerBook G4)
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

14 seconds from off to start up (powermac g5)
32 seconds from off to start up (macbook pro)

Edit: this is the first time I turned my computer off in a very long time... so you owe me for ruining my uptime

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

About 35 seconds from pushing the "on" button to fully functional desktop on my PowerMac G5 (with lots of extensions like Classic Menu, Menu Meters, YouControl Desktops etc.) all loaded and running.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

17 seconds wow that is quick. So a nearly 2 weeks old mac pro really shouldn't be taking 1 minute 30 to 2 minutes to boot up should it?

Ive attached a couple of screenshots that show what are in my activity monitor after boot up.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (224.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: png Picture 4.png (211.3 KB, 24 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Those screen shots aren't all that clear, but I saw a bunch of apps loaded: Thunderbird, MSN Messenger, and likely more. If you are starting all of those as you boot, yes your boot will take longer. I think all of us above are referring to booting as the process of getting from "off" to the state of a fully functional desktop ready to launch apps.

Are you perhaps launching several Rosetta based (i.e. non native) apps as part of your start up sequence? That would slow things down!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

my mac mini boots faster then that, there must be something thst is starting that takes a long time to start.

how would you change what has to start up when you log in

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

all i have starting up on boot is messenger and thunderbird. unless there is other stuff that i dont know about? is there anywhere i can see whats trying to run as soon as i boot up OSX?

It takes over 30 seconds jsut to get to the point that says starting up OSX (or whatever it is that it says, i cant remeber!)
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Sorry, can you enlarge those screenshots? They're too small to read.
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

www.blue22.co.uk/blue22/mac1.png
www.blue22.co.uk/blue22/mac2.png

any better?
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I thought you bought AppleCare. Phone Apple...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finally Upgraded!!! | Default Paint Application »