New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How long does your mac take to boot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

Is that my best option to call applecare? i did buy applecare but i cant stand customer service haha
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I'd give 'em a ring. Seems daft to pay for it then not use it.

Not that I'm say your daft or anything...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

I don't see anything particularly unusual in there. Rosetta does slow things down a bit, but I've got more or less the same on my MacBook Pro (the MS Office stuff is PPC, as is my Canon scanner software and it looks like maybe you've got an HP scanner [or printer]).

Just the fact that it takes 30 seconds before you get the MacOS logo seems unusual -- on rare occasions I see that too, but it's so infrequent that I don't worry about it.

You get 90 days of free telephone support via AppleCare, and I'd suggest giving them a call. You could always run it down to an Apple store, but taking a desktop there is quite a different story from bringing a laptop
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

ill give apple a call in the morning and see what they say. Thanks for the help guys

martins - people often call me daft, im used to it
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

my imac core 2 duo takes around 20 secs. not bad !
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Here's my number from my MBP 2.16 for OS X and XP

Off to desktop: OS X 56 sec, XP 1:04 (including holding option key and choosing the drive for XP only)
Desktop to off: OS X 25 sec, XP 19 sec

I don't consider my system to be "up" until I can start running programs, and this is where OS X frustrates me

From off to firefox open browser window: OS X 1min 55sec, XP 1min 20sec

I don't have anything start-up automatically on either OS to slow the process. Considering I have to take time to hold my option key and pick Windows before it really starts booting, it looks like my Windows is winning right now, but I can spare a few seconds for OS X! "I brake for Tiger OS X"
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

ok so i didn't get a chance to ring apple as ive been at work all day. I did a search and found some stuff on other forums and on the apple site and followed some tutorials that were supposed to have some effect on the speed of my boot up time.. however its now gone up to around 3 minutes!!

i was thinking is it maybe because i have alot of fonts and adobe brushes that its gotta load on boot up?

also even though ive selected it not to messenger still pops up automatically when i boot up and so does my received files!

Im really not sure that to make of all of this!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My Core Duo Mini takes around 15 seconds to boot completely. Even faster than my AMD 64 3800 Plus with 10k RPM Raptor SATA. Fastest system in the house boot up wise. My iMac G5 takes maybe 35 seconds. iBook G4 maybe 45 seconds. Something is wrong there.

I know on a PC if you have a LOAD of Fonts loading up it does slow down boot time a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

Usually about 15 seconds for OS X on iMac and 1 Minute on my PowerMac G4.

Windows takes about 40 Seconds on the iMac
QUOTE Thanks
andrewmiller25

andrewmiller25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4

I've noticed that since I installed EyeTV my iMac loads up slower than before, but it's still faster than my Powerbook
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

I just bought a Macbook Pro (C2D 2.16Ghz 1GB RAM) from the Apple Website (Refurbed) and noticed right away that it takes longer to boot (about 1 minute) than my macbook (CD, 1GB RAM, 1.83Ghz). The Macbook boots up in about 30 seconds. I am timing both from when i hit the power button until i see all my icons on the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

On my Mac Mini 1.83Ghz CD with only 512MB RAM it takes 26 seconds to get to the login screen, and 33 seconds from login to full desktop, including a plethora of external and network mapped drives (that map via automator), and Adium starting up. If I were to disable all of my extra startup items, I'd hazard to guess that it would be less than 15 seconds from login to full desktop, so about 40 seconds total.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
majicdragon@mac

majicdragon@mac is on a distinguished road

mine takes 50 seconds from pressing the restart confirm button to opening up date and time to look at the seconds which dont show on the desktop...

this, and i have to chose a user and log in with an 11 digit password.
QUOTE Thanks
iSebastianGrey

iSebastianGrey has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.

Not that it matters, but my HP Pavilion yada yada yada, that I bought in the Cretaceous period, boots in about 3 minutes. That's running XP loading AIM, Gmail inbox, LastFM, and I have loads of fonts and brushes and other assorted bric-a-brak for Photoshop.

(But within a day or so, it won't matter! Sorry I keep bringing it up, but I'm extremely jazzed about that Macbook)

Everything popular is wrong.

~Oscar Wilde
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finally Upgraded!!! | Default Paint Application »