How do I close my Macbook when I'm watching TV?!
    Hi
    Just got my macbook and made the switch. I'm using my DVI connector to watch DVDs on my TV. Does anyone know how to close the laptop so I'm not watching 2 images and still have the DVD run and not have OS shut down. I've played with the energy options but there's nothing there like with PCs. "Help" mentioned that I need a peripheral mouse and keyboard to do this. If that's true it's lame..Any thoughts? Thanks

yeah, i think that's it. as i understand it, it's the keyboard that activates the 'closed' or 'external' mode.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by crashwins View Post
    "Help" mentioned that I need a peripheral mouse and keyboard to do this. If that's true it's lame..Any thoughts? Thanks
    This is exactly the solution. The only thing you didn't mention is that you also need to have the power adapter connected as well. This is what is known as "Clamshell Mode".
    Quote Originally Posted by crashwins View Post
    I've played with the energy options but there's nothing there like with PCs.
    That's because this isn't a Windows PC, You can't nor shouldn't expect it to be the same. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

you know DB, that shouldn't always be the answer...

Q: yeah, on a windows machine i could use a monitor to look at the desktop. but on OS XI orangutan i have to use ESP and not a monitor... can't i just hook up a monitor?

A: nope! you have to do it this way. if you wanted to use a monitor you should have stuck with windows...

obvioulsy an extreme fake example, but some things that just work should be pretty universal. an OS shouldn't not do something just because the other OS does it... like mass file renaming in the file browser.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

If I have wireless mouse/keyboard can I watch DVDs with my macbook closed?!?
    Hi
    I understand the macs, unlike PCS, can't be connected to monitors without peripherals to activate like a mouse and keyboard. No matter, I love my mac so much more it's still cool. Anyway, my Q is: can I use the wireless setup--mighty mouse/keyboard--for the clamshell setup where I can close the macbook and watch DVDs/video; or do they have to be serial-connected? Thanks folks

Thread Information