New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Why doesn't Apple participate in CES?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I'm fairly new to the Apple world, so I've never known this. From an outside perspective, Apple holding their own little conference around the same time seems a little snobbish; something the Apple reputation doesn't need more of.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You're a worrier, hunh?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've noticed that too.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

They get enough press when they accounce something at Mac World, what would their motivation be to go to CES also?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

One would need to look up CES' history of course (their webpage only says 40th anniversary, no idea when this event has been held in those 40 years), but Macworld as far as I can recall was held at first twice a year, in June and in the second week of January. Then Apple, in the lean years, trimmed it to once a year but chose to keep it in January, still on the second week.

Snobbish? I don't think so. But then again I don't have your outside perspective. I use Macs and I don't care what a show catering mostly to PCs has to offer anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

My understanding of CES is that it's a technology Mecca. I think it would be great for Apple to demo at CES as well as MacWorld - I don't really know the geographic differences/time zone differences with regards to where these two shows are held (and I'm too tired to check...) - but 'what if' - The iPhone/keynote in Macworld is streamed either live - or later that same day to the Apple 'stand' at CES - who'd be staring at the running robot then huh?

But...
Quote:
They get enough press when they accounce something at Mac World, what would their motivation be to go to CES also?
fair point I guess. Perhaps the only group to benefit would be the CES organisers.

Just an opinion.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Take a look at these two Forbes articles (1 and 2)

Basically, Apple got more attention this week than all of CES did. It had an entire show to itself, and upstaged everything else.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Whoah! Looks like CES needs Apple, not the other way around.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Apple hits the news without any help. This week's newspaper had a full page for Apple's Macworld anouncements, and there was nothing about CES.
QUOTE Thanks
andrewmiller25

andrewmiller25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4

I was watching Click on BBC News 24 last night and it was mostly about CES. Seems to me it's more of a technology show than a computer show. Apple have all the big announcements at Macworld, but all the mac third party software, developer people are there as well. It's not just an apple event
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

I'm not a worrier, I just didn't know why. I mentioned the snobbish thing because that's how most people I know who don't use Apple products think of Macworld. They, like me, just don't understand why. I saw a lot of featured products that came out of CES, and in my opinion, as well as a lot of non-Mac users, iPhone would have blown everything else out of the water. Macworld is great for Apple and 3rd party developers to get together and collaborate, but an Apple presence at CES would not only get them more coverage, it would directly show how great their stuff is compared to others and create more converts like me.

Quote:
Apple hits the news without any help. This week's newspaper had a full page for Apple's Macworld anouncements, and there was nothing about CES.
Which newspaper? I'd like to read the article. I haven't read much about it outside of web sources; which had a lot of CES. My favorite tech source, Cnet, covered both pretty well.

Quote:
I was watching Click on BBC News 24 last night and it was mostly about CES. Seems to me it's more of a technology show than a computer show.
That would have made it especially appropriate for Apple with their strategy shift, "Apple Inc." The only reason CES appears to cater to MS is because the only other mainstream competitor, Apple, is missing.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

It was a local newspaper. Observer Dispatch.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

That's cool a local would report on a story like that. Maybe the chief editor is a fellow Apple lover. As I said in another post, we need recruiters!
QUOTE Thanks
Bill_Gates

Bill_Gates has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz

it's funny.

IMO, the products apple announced this year truly were more in the spirit of CES type announcements (phones and media bridges)... at least more so than the usual type MacWorld announcements (ie: new macs, OS X, iWork/Life, etc)

CES seems to be part reality and part concept electronics... a lot of the products shown on the floor at CES are experimentations or demonstrations of upcoming technology. Some will never see the actually market... or in completely different ways. That being said it's a cool little show.

BUT... MacWorld (especially nowadays) has become a sort of holiday. I was amazed at the amount of coverage that the event got, definitely seemed like more than the usual... But most of Apple, (eh em) Inc.'s announcements as of late have been completely revolutionary/industry changing (alright, mainly the intel switch and the iPhone)

I will admit, I have heard plenty about the iPhone... i'd really like to hear some Macintosh/OS news...

It would be absolutely ridiculous for Apple to join CES with all the attention that MacWorld recieves now.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

We have a big French newspaper here, La Presse and they covered the Macworld keynote on two different pages, one being a full page article (front page of the Electronics news) and a half-page in the Financial section. Oh and on that day there was a snippet on the front page announcing the article of both sections. Those articles bumped Gates back to page four.

And no, I hate to disappoint you but they're too big to be Apple fanboys as you said or insinuated earlier. La Presse belongs to Power Corp.

This weekend there was another article on the iPhone this time on the first page of the Entertainment section.

If using a Mac is that snobbish and you feel so ashamed, why not sell it to someone who just might like using it, hunh?

I find you borderline trollish. You post stuff like that in a lot of places in Mac-Forums and then you scamper off. Jeez...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Odd stuff | Anyone else have roomates? »