New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

imac and xbox 360 compatibility??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dlamp73

dlamp73 is on a distinguished road

being finally won over by my mac-crazy friend, and because my pc is making me pull my hair out, i have finally decided to buy a 24" imac. the only thing that is stopping me from making the switch is my xbox 360. i love playing online via xbox live and want to make sure that there is a way to continue to do this with the imac. currently i do this through my pc connecting to a linksys wireless router which then connects to the 360 wirelessly(i have the little wireless antenna that fits to the back of the 360). to make this connection work i had to install a windows media connect file on my pc. obviously this little bit of software isn't available to macs. i have read some on the "connect 360" software, but this seems to be more to do with connecting the mac's music and photo libraries to the xbox. i'm not really interested in that function, just the ability to connect to xbox live and play online. does anyone know if "connect 360" also allows me to do this? if not, is there another program that does? or is this even an issue? maybe the xbox automatically shares the broadband connection? if anyone has any answers, it would be very much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You shouldn't need to run any software on your PC to connect wirelessly for XBox Live. Windows Media Connect is for playing video files.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
dlamp73

great. i'm off to the apple store tomorrow to get the imac. thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Basically, the only thign that will change in your setup is you're (swapping) machines; replacing your PC with the iMac.

Connect360 (wonder piece of software), let's you stream Audio, Video (unfortionatly only *.wmv format), and pictures to your Xbox 360 without using the "Media Center" portion (which is a royal pain).

Your Linksys wireless router acts as an "access point," delivering network connectivety (as well as broadband internet), to up to 4 machines-hardwired, and wirelessly as well.
QUOTE Thanks
dlamp73

one more question: will the xbox automatically connect, or will i have to type in info on dns servers and ip adresses etc?
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

You just type in the network name and encription (if you have one..) and bang.. like magic it will connect

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
dlamp73

thanks to all replies. i called the local apple store the other day and asked these same questions. the bloke on the phone said "hold on, i'll ask genius." after 2 minutes he comes back on and says "genius doesn't know." not much of a genius then after all.
QUOTE Thanks
buddenbohn

buddenbohn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook

I have connect360 on my macbook, but have never been able to get it to work with my 360.

When I click Start on connect360, it says that it is starting up, then goes right back to saying "click start to begin sharing your media files with your Xbox 360" At the top of the screen, it says Xbox 360 media sharing disabled.

The xbox is hardwired to the linksys wireless router, and the Macbook uses a wireless connection. Do i need to set up anything on the xbox to get this to work?

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenbohn View Post
I have connect360 on my macbook, but have never been able to get it to work with my 360.

When I click Start on connect360, it says that it is starting up, then goes right back to saying "click start to begin sharing your media files with your Xbox 360" At the top of the screen, it says Xbox 360 media sharing disabled.

The xbox is hardwired to the linksys wireless router, and the Macbook uses a wireless connection. Do i need to set up anything on the xbox to get this to work?

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks
That's very strange.. When you "start" Connect360, it's just like you're starting any other service like File Sharing, ICS, etc.

Try removing Connect360 completely, and reinstalling it. Also, pay for it! It's cheap and works well!

The only thing you should have to do on your Xbox, is go to the Media blade, and just do the setup to "add a PC." You should see your Mac there once Connect360 is started, just like it were a Windows PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ufc 91 | Consider... How fat is your Mac...? »