New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Power Mac - History Question: Why Was 2.7 GHz PowerMac Discontinued?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

By the time I bought my PowerMac G5, the line up consisted of a 2.0 GHz, a 2.3 GHz and a 2.5 GHz. I know however that there used to be a 2.7 GHz model. Why was this discontinued? Since it was the fastest of the bunch, it would seem that Apple would have wanted to push it. Any insights?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

IBM's PowerPC processor was being pushed beyond its limit already, and 2.7GHz was probably more than it was worth it as far as manufacturing and cooling goes. The PowerMac G5 was the only mainstream PC I know that had to be water-cooled. Manufacturing the 2.7GHz model was probably difficult, not to mention it ran even hotter than the already extremely hot 2.5GHz chip. All in all, Intel could release a 3.4GHz Core 2 Duo chip by simply ramping (rather overclocking) their 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo, but it just wouldn't be worth it because they would have to use higher voltage, in turn making it run hotter and cutting down on its life. Intel would also have to use cherry-picked dies off their wafers that would be able to hit 3.4GHz. All of this is just too much effort and pain to be worth having a chip that was just that much faster. Just my $.02...

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The dual-CPU 2.7GHz Power Mac G5 was replaced* as Apple's top-of-the-line G5 when the dual-CPU-dual-core 2.5GHz G5 ("G5 Quad") was introduced. At the same time, the slower dual-CPU models were replaced with same-speed single-CPU-dual-core models. The new dual- and quad-core machines also replaced the PCI-X slots with PCI Express slots.

The newer model also added other new features, like ECC memory, a workstation (nVidia Quadro) graphics option and dual ethernet cards. Since this was after Apple had announced the Intel transition, Apple pulled out all the stops to make their last PowerPC machines attractive. Everything that Apple could stuff into those last Power Macs was stuffed in.

*The dual-2.7 remained available for a limited time for customers who needed compatibility with PCI-X
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« here we go NE!! | What to buy? »