New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I quieted a mac hater

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TylerMoney

So I was in my afternoon airbrush class today....and this kid started talking about how he hated macs....and I quietly said "you shouldn't hate macs, they don't hate you." Then this other guy says he is with the other kid, and hates macs. He says there confusing to use, and he just doesn't like them. And then I was like..." man, they're so easy to use...and so much more stable than any pc." That's when he went on his, "my computer doesn't crash anymroe with XP." And then I had to tell him a little more about myself. How I grew up using PC's, and have one right now. I built my own. I told him how I used to hate mac...because I was ignorant...and that I agreed that XP is not as bad...but still isn't very good. And I told him when I really started using macs....I couldn't stop. How...I have a pc now..but I'd rather use my mac. He just got quiet.....and then mentioned something about he was looking forward to seeing how longhorn worked out....what is longhorn?...I should google it. But I thought that'd be a nice warming story for you other mac lovers.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

nice work!

but longhorn is the mac-like version of Windows which currently is crap, and only encorps things that mac has had since 10.0. The kicker is it wont be released till 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Hmmm...sounds like something I'll have to look into for my pc in the future. Yeah...I'm finding that most people that hate mac truly are just ignorant of them....they never really just sit down and see how wonderful they are. But I guess that's life...and it's what it will always be like...could be worse I guess....it could still be me.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Just remember that the next time you are saying something bad about someone or something.. just remember that hey.. maybe you just don't know them well enough or know about that subject enough.. Im constantly trying to remind myself of that
QUOTE Thanks
gitboxnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
nice work!

but longhorn is the mac-like version of Windows which currently is crap, and only encorps things that mac has had since 10.0. The kicker is it wont be released till 2006.

I read another article last week, I think the LongHorn will be pushed back even further.. around 2008..! It's a funny name a operating system. I wonder why they chose that name... Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
gitboxnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
So I was in my afternoon airbrush class today....and this kid started talking about how he hated macs....and I quietly said "you shouldn't hate macs, they don't hate you." Then this other guy says he is with the other kid, and hates macs. He says there confusing to use, and he just doesn't like them. And then I was like..." man, they're so easy to use...and so much more stable than any pc." That's when he went on his, "my computer doesn't crash anymroe with XP." And then I had to tell him a little more about myself. How I grew up using PC's, and have one right now. I built my own. I told him how I used to hate mac...because I was ignorant...and that I agreed that XP is not as bad...but still isn't very good. And I told him when I really started using macs....I couldn't stop. How...I have a pc now..but I'd rather use my mac. He just got quiet.....and then mentioned something about he was looking forward to seeing how longhorn worked out....what is longhorn?...I should google it. But I thought that'd be a nice warming story for you other mac lovers.
In response to your story, I have a ton of friends that use PC, geez, actually all my friends except one or two use Macs. They all really hate Macs, which I don't understand why, they haven't even tried using it and they just bad talk about it. I agree with you TylerMoney, they're ignorant. :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Actually it's the in thing to do.. talk smack about the mac.. oh that rhymed!

And the answer to your longhorn question is.. think about it.. what is a longhorn? it's basically a bull right? Now what do people say to other people that are lying? You say.. Bull! As in "yeah right.. that's a lie" So in conclusion Microsoft is having fun with all their users, dragging them along.. trying to get them to hang onto windows as long as possible instead of going to Apple.. when in reality.. the whole story about Longhorn is just that.. Bull.. it doesnt really exist.. now how do you go about keeping people believing a time sensitive lie? You string them along by changing the date when it's due.. exactly what they've been doing.

Ok.. I made all that up.. but it sounds pretty good to me
QUOTE Thanks
Beatles4Life

Beatles4Life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.9.5.

TylerMoney, that was inspiring.

My entire family thinks that Macs are some sort of unknown being and think I'm crazy for using one. When I was back at home over break, I told my brother about all of the wonderful things one could do with a Mac, and he was amazed. About a day or two later his PC crashed. Must be a sign.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Indeed. Must be a sign. I'm trying to talk another friend into getting a mac. His laptop is dying, so he is looking into getting a new one. His dad works at IBM, so he'll probably get one of them, due to discount. But he also knows someone who works at mac, so could get a family discount. The thing is, he likes mac design, knows nothing about the os, and could really care less which one he gets as long as he can do what he needs. The real trick is, he'll definently buy one if there is a good hocky game for macs. He really likes hockey, and apparently has to play a hockey computer game....so, I'm having trouble finding one. Backyard Hockey and Air Hockey just won't do.
QUOTE Thanks
danielos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitboxnat
I read another article last week, I think the LongHorn will be pushed back even further.. around 2008..! It's a funny name a operating system. I wonder why they chose that name... Any ideas?
It's just the code name for the operating system, not that official name.
QUOTE Thanks
agallant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
nice work!

LongHorn is due out in 2005 and as far as the UI it is 90% the same as XP
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallant
LongHorn is due out in 2005 and as far as the UI it is 90% the same as XP
Well it's more like this and it's no surprise
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/susan.m...creenshot2.JPG

that was my longhorn back in the beginning of 2003... (old specs too) and it was quite good actually.. but as I have recieved the later builds.. they got worse and slower.. I gave up and threw them all out because they weren't bearable

I would say keep away from it because its doubled in size of XP..

I agree about people being ignorant about Macs.. my dad is and its very unfortunate.. he talks like i totally hate pcs now..

I was before i knew anything about them.. thats when it starts to change.. and OS X is so user friendly.. and the hardware is so great, i had to take one home with me. so it was the iBook G4

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
u76200

What really bugs me is the fanaticism about one system over the other some of you guys display. All have their sides. I really like the Mac and OSX, but it is pretty tough to live with its limited Software support in real life. There is just such a limited amount of business software for the platform when you go beyond graphics/office/accounting applications.

I am using daily software from the following vendors at the office and at home, partly through VPN:
http://about.bloomberg.com/software/documentation.html
http://www.ecowin.com/products/ecowinpro/
http://www.advent.com/products/index.asp
http://www.samstock.com/products2.as...943109F8584DD5

I would love to have a G5 Powerbook at home - when available - but I think I will still have to keep a laptop running MS OS around for serious work. The above software & services I run cost more than 30K per year per workstation to use, so these are pretty serious and expensive business applications.

The only stuff we actually run on Macs at the office beyond our marketing deparment is a trading platform:
http://www.orcsoftware.com/Technology/architecture.htm

So we have some experience from both worlds and unfortunately the Mac is often not a contender for business applications outside of the graphics and entertainment industries. The applications are simply not there due to a thin installed base - no matter how neat the machines or the OS are.

Hence I think that you have to be pragmatic. There are loads of industries where you simple do not have a choice.
QUOTE Thanks
u76200

One more note - A PC is just a tool and that is how it should be viewed, no matter who the OS or HW manufacturer is. And people think different, I actually find the XP interface easier to use than OSX. Better keyboard shortcuts and more versatile mouse functions - though I have to be fair, I use it more.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Store says no more12"? | I love my Apple Stock »