New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Gmail users... be carefull

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacHeadCase

Caught this two days ago off of Wired's Monkey Bites and didn't have time to post it. Seems there is a vulnerability in the Gmail service even though Google says all is cool...

Quote:
More bad news for Google: GMail is vulnerable to a hack which enables malicious websites to hijack your contacts list, including the name, email address and avatar of all your contacts. Google claims to have fixed the flaw, but apparently it still exists on the Google Notebook and Google Groups server.
So just a heads up. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

Thanks for the warning

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Hijack my contacts? In what way would that harm me ?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Maybe not you... but your contacts are sure gonna remember you!
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
Hijack my contacts? In what way would that harm me ?
They could hold them for ransom!!!
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Thanks for the heads up.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Cheers for the warning. Is there Anything that can be done to help prevent this?
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Thanks for the info. Is .Mac mail different than gmail? If so, maybe that's another reason for subscribing (I'm debating).
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

One thing I can say is that I've used the same .Mac account for 5 years just about and have never had any spam so Apple is extremely vigilant against spam and I can frankly say I have never heard any type of security problem like that with .Mac. And they don't do like M$ and the Hotmail accounts i.e. sell the email addies stored in their users' contact lists.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macboom pro off the apple refurb store? | Any good network sniffer? »