New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

trouble uploading mac 0S X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kielkid2

kielkid2 is on a distinguished road

Trying to upgrade to OS X 10.3 using the two installation discs. When I insert disk one and begin the upload It restarts my computer. Then a page of text appears. At the top it reads as follows: Panic (cpu 0 caller 0x002e54bc): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook3,4".
Further down the page it reads as follows: No debugger configured - dumping debug information
In the background I can see the power button emblem and it says: You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power.
When I do this the computer restarts and the same page pops up. Now I cant even eject the disk. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Any help would be much appriciated.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, kielkid2. What you are experiencing is a kernel panic. It happens a lot when bad RAM is involved but that isn't always the case.

Why have you been trying to update the OS? Were you previously experiencing problems?
QUOTE Thanks
kielkid2

I have OS 10 and I'm trying to upgrade my powerbook g4 to OS x 10.3 I beleive. I'm trying to use the instilation disks that came with my girlfriends new macbook. I want to upgrade so that I can run programs that require 10.3 or higher. Any help you can give would be much appriciated. I can't even eject the disk right now. I can restart the computer. but all I get is that kernel panic that you mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If I understand you correctly. You are trying to upgrade your PowerBook G4 with an Intel MacBook restore CDROMs. If this is the case you will not be able to do it. You will need to buy a full install version of the OS you want to install.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

1. The OS discs from 10.3 up are system specific so you need a PowerBook install or a retail install
2. MacBooks have intel coded OS X, PowerBooks cant run it
3. It would be illegal to use that disc even if it would work

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
kielkid2

very good. I will go buy the update tomorrow. any idea on how to eject the disk thats stuck in my g4?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Restart your system and hold down the click button on the touch pad, while it is booting.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« best of a band - the beatles | Wired's Vaporware '06 »