New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I need help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tynen

tynen is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm a complete noob to Mac, I just got Mac OS X for Christmas and I am trying to install Fire Fox, I downloaded the file, it was in dmg format, which I was expecting. However, i don't know what to do with it, the only thing I've been able to do is mount it, and run Fire Fox from the mounted file, but I want to actually install it, how do I do that?
QUOTE Thanks
SunsetRoadzter

SunsetRoadzter will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynen View Post
Hey I'm a complete noob to Mac, I just got Mac OS X for Christmas and I am trying to install Fire Fox, I downloaded the file, it was in dmg format, which I was expecting. However, i don't know what to do with it, the only thing I've been able to do is mount it, and run Fire Fox from the mounted file, but I want to actually install it, how do I do that?
Drag the Firefox icon from the mounted drive window to your applications folder that will install it on your hard drive.

What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

once the dmg is open, you'll see one or more files in a new window.

drag the firefox icon to your applications folder.
you could also create a firefox folder in the applications folder to hold the app and/or any doco that was in the dmg also.

once the app is in your applications folder. you can "eject" the dmg from the top left pane in finder, then if you like trash the dmg file or archive it.

you can also drag the app from the app folder to your dock which will create a "shortcut" on the dock.
QUOTE Thanks
tynen

Thank you both. ^_^ So where will all of my extentions and such go? just wondering if you guys know
QUOTE Thanks
tynen

oh, tried that and I don't have administrative rights, how do i give my self admin rights? I just turned comp on today well, yesterday, been on it for hours now
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If you are the only user, you should have admin rights. If not, talk to the owner about getting them. If not, install Firefox in your user folder.

The extensions you install will go in /Users/<your name>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<randomletters>/

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

if you don't have admin rights i would recommend making an applications folder in your homefolder and from now on install the applications you want into that folder.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

post moved from other thread to help keep forums organized:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarky View Post
tynen, you will want to double click the .dmg file to mount it. Once you have done that, you want to drag the Firefox icon from the mounted file to your applications folder in finder. Hope this helps.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

This link is to an installation graphic (older Firefox but installing it and all apps from disk images is the same).
QUOTE Thanks
pruppert

pruppert is on a distinguished road

The link directly above me shows three graphics: the downloaded dmg, the firefox "folder", and then the round icon to be dragged to app folder. Once the round icon has been dragged to app folder, can the other two items be trashed?
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruppert View Post
The link directly above me shows three graphics: the downloaded dmg, the firefox "folder", and then the round icon to be dragged to app folder. Once the round icon has been dragged to app folder, can the other two items be trashed?
Yes. For most apps all you really need is the .app file (some have a folder in the dmg that you drag to the applications folder instead).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What was your favourite Christmas present? | Papa John's Pizza is slow! »