Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   I need help (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/48235-i-need-help.html)

tynen 12-26-2006 06:36 AM

I need help

Hey I'm a complete noob to Mac, I just got Mac OS X for Christmas and I am trying to install Fire Fox, I downloaded the file, it was in dmg format, which I was expecting. However, i don't know what to do with it, the only thing I've been able to do is mount it, and run Fire Fox from the mounted file, but I want to actually install it, how do I do that?

SunsetRoadzter 12-26-2006 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tynen (Post 292842)
Hey I'm a complete noob to Mac, I just got Mac OS X for Christmas and I am trying to install Fire Fox, I downloaded the file, it was in dmg format, which I was expecting. However, i don't know what to do with it, the only thing I've been able to do is mount it, and run Fire Fox from the mounted file, but I want to actually install it, how do I do that?

Drag the Firefox icon from the mounted drive window to your applications folder that will install it on your hard drive.

eric 12-26-2006 06:38 AM

once the dmg is open, you'll see one or more files in a new window.

drag the firefox icon to your applications folder.
you could also create a firefox folder in the applications folder to hold the app and/or any doco that was in the dmg also.

once the app is in your applications folder. you can "eject" the dmg from the top left pane in finder, then if you like trash the dmg file or archive it.

you can also drag the app from the app folder to your dock which will create a "shortcut" on the dock.

tynen 12-26-2006 06:48 AM

Thank you both. ^_^ So where will all of my extentions and such go? just wondering if you guys know

tynen 12-26-2006 06:49 AM

oh, tried that and I don't have administrative rights, how do i give my self admin rights? I just turned comp on today well, yesterday, been on it for hours now

cradom 12-26-2006 10:54 AM

If you are the only user, you should have admin rights. If not, talk to the owner about getting them. If not, install Firefox in your user folder.

The extensions you install will go in /Users/<your name>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<randomletters>/

Smackintosh 12-26-2006 11:18 AM

if you don't have admin rights i would recommend making an applications folder in your homefolder and from now on install the applications you want into that folder.

PowerBookG4 12-26-2006 05:02 PM

post moved from other thread to help keep forums organized:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefarky (Post 293049)
tynen, you will want to double click the .dmg file to mount it. Once you have done that, you want to drag the Firefox icon from the mounted file to your applications folder in finder. Hope this helps.

Brown Study 12-26-2006 05:07 PM

This link is to an installation graphic (older Firefox but installing it and all apps from disk images is the same).

pruppert 12-26-2006 09:43 PM

The link directly above me shows three graphics: the downloaded dmg, the firefox "folder", and then the round icon to be dragged to app folder. Once the round icon has been dragged to app folder, can the other two items be trashed?

puaerotch 12-26-2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pruppert (Post 293175)
The link directly above me shows three graphics: the downloaded dmg, the firefox "folder", and then the round icon to be dragged to app folder. Once the round icon has been dragged to app folder, can the other two items be trashed?

Yes. For most apps all you really need is the .app file (some have a folder in the dmg that you drag to the applications folder instead).