New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

mac-like behavior found in other places...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

do you have any examples of mac-like behavior found in things other than computers?

here's my favorite example. go ahead and share yours!

my subaru forester has an external lighting situation that's pretty unique. i've owned and driven cars from nearly every common manufacturer in the us and the subbie is the only one i've seen that does this. other cars you need to turn the lights off yourself (and remind you with a chime if you don't), or they shut off automatically after a while once you leave the car.

mine simply turn off when you turn off the car. period. simple. i can leave them on all the time (and working nights in minnesota in the winter i pretty much do) and never worry about accidentally leaving them on.
now you might say, "what if you needed to have the lights on when the car is off?" well, subaru placed a convenient little rocker switch on top of the steering column so you can turn on the parking lights whether you have the key in the ignition or not (sort of like a hazard lights switch - and i have one of those too).

neat!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Every care I have ever owned (or my parents have owned) for as long as I can remember had that feature except the latest 07 mustang but hey its not an car with alot of features.. its just cool and fast...

my moms car however.. has automatic high beams.. if you are in a dark area it automaticly turns the high beams on... the fraction of a second it notices another car on the road (be it a break light or head light but not a street light, or reflector) it turns them off.. pretty mac like if you ask me.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
Every care I have ever owned (or my parents have owned) for as long as I can remember had that feature
odd. are you sure they just weren't the timed-off variety? you're saying they all just shut off immediately when you turned off the ignition? what kinds of cars were they?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I'm lost, what's the mac tie-in on these examples? I'm guessing you're referring to the lighted keyboard. Similar, but I doubt the maker was inspired directly by an Apple product. I'm pretty sure many cars did have the functionality of headlights going off when the key was turned for some time now; I'm sure it would be much easier to simply make the lights come off instantly. But I think many people like the time-delay because it offers them light to get where their going in the dark. Also good for security reasons. If they could make a switch option between time-delay and instant, that would be great.

Sensor technology can make so many things more convenient and user friendly, but their not widely used. My Mazda has automatic climate control where I set the temp and the car keeps it. Simple enough, but the cool thing is that it has a sunlight sensor on the dash, so if sunlight is beaming down on the car, the climate control system takes that into account. Very nice.

I wonder when the "turning headlights" will become more standard. I think that's a great feature people would instantly love.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

the tie in is just doing things a different way than "the norm", and that it seems to really make sense.

my tie in is just that you don't really see parking and headlights/foglights tied directly to the ignition. normally you get the chime or you get the delay (though you can set a short delay). the added parking light switch that is not tied to the ignition is a nice bonus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
odd. are you sure they just weren't the timed-off variety? you're saying they all just shut off immediately when you turned off the ignition? what kinds of cars were they?
Every car I've owned shuts off the headlights when you turn off the ignition. VWs, Chevys, BMWs, Mercedesseses.

Also, I don't see how this is "mac-like" behavior. Windows shuts the off the computer and the screen since about 98 (W95 still had the "It's now safe to turn off the computer" screen)

Are you a native of Oregon, per chance?

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

When I got my Westinghouse HDTV, I was surprised that when you plug in a new source (HDMI DVD Player for example) it automatically switches sources to the newest input.

I thought this was pretty Mac-like...

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Every care I have ever owned (or my parents have owned) for as long as I can remember had that feature except the latest 07 mustang but hey its not an car with alot of features.. its just cool and fast...

my moms car however.. has automatic high beams.. if you are in a dark area it automaticly turns the high beams on... the fraction of a second it notices another car on the road (be it a break light or head light but not a street light, or reflector) it turns them off.. pretty mac like if you ask me.
that's pretty cool. One thing I noticed about cars in Japan, is that if you're sitting in traffic with the headlights on, they'll turn themselves off if the car is stationary for a set period, and automatically come on again as soon as the car moves. Probably not unique to Japan, but it's something I've never seen in Aus. That just reminds me of the monitor dimming itself or going to sleep if idle.

Also on the topic of cars, I recall a concept car (Toyota I believe) recording your personal settings (seat and mirror adjustments, radio station etc.) - much like preferences or user switching for mac.

Similar to those high-beams sensing the light, my old mobile senses the light like that, and will turn the keypad backlight on. Pretty nifty for a 3 year old phone. I believe the macbook pro keyboard lights work like that, right?

I also now have an external HD that actually WORKS. That's VERY mac-like heheheh

The Nintendo Wii menus remind me of OS X, and the simplicity of configuring internet settings as well. Just left everything to auto configure and it was up in no time.

QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
that's pretty cool. One thing I noticed about cars in Japan, is that if you're sitting in traffic with the headlights on, they'll turn themselves off if the car is stationary for a set period, and automatically come on again as soon as the car moves.
I rented a Renault a few years ago in the UK, and I didn't have to do anything! The lights came on when it was dark, went off when I got out, etc. The wipers would even start when the windscreen got wet and regulate speed as the rain got faster. Marvellous.

Going back to a 19 year old Volkswagen was a pain, I tell you!
QUOTE Thanks
glyndav

glyndav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd

Okay, I just tried it on a mercedes c class, and it does not switch the lights off, neither does a honda or a bmw - it only turns the main beam off as do most cars
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyndav View Post
Okay, I just tried it on a mercedes c class, and it does not switch the lights off, neither does a honda or a bmw - it only turns the main beam off as do most cars
BMW 7 series = yes
BMW 5 series = yes
Lincoln Navigator = yes
Mercedes S class = yes
Mercedes G class = yes

Ford Mustang = No
BMW 3 series = No
Mercedes C class = (as you stated) no

only cars I was able to get access to...

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
spiccy

spiccy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

This thread stayed on topic well...
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

oh yes it did... we are still kinda talking about mac like functions, but now we are discussing where we can find certain ones that have been mentioned.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
glyndav

glyndav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd

Powerbook, lol. OK, I stand corrected. I can't believe you found all that out to be honest!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
BMW 7 series = yes
BMW 5 series = yes
Lincoln Navigator = yes
Mercedes S class = yes
Mercedes G class = yes

Ford Mustang = No
BMW 3 series = No
Mercedes C class = (as you stated) no

only cars I was able to get access to...
VW Beetle ('84) = no

Glad to be of assistance!

I find Sony Ericsson's recent phone UI is fairly Mac-like...
Common tasks are easy to find and you can constantly find subtle tricks and shortcuts that make things really easy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Better value? Refurbished or closeout model | DVD to iPod »