Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

mac-like behavior found in other places...
    do you have any examples of mac-like behavior found in things other than computers?

here's my favorite example. go ahead and share yours!

my subaru forester has an external lighting situation that's pretty unique. i've owned and driven cars from nearly every common manufacturer in the us and the subbie is the only one i've seen that does this. other cars you need to turn the lights off yourself (and remind you with a chime if you don't), or they shut off automatically after a while once you leave the car.

mine simply turn off when you turn off the car. period. simple. i can leave them on all the time (and working nights in minnesota in the winter i pretty much do) and never worry about accidentally leaving them on.
    now you might say, "what if you needed to have the lights on when the car is off?" well, subaru placed a convenient little rocker switch on top of the steering column so you can turn on the parking lights whether you have the key in the ignition or not (sort of like a hazard lights switch - and i have one of those too).

neat!

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Every care I have ever owned (or my parents have owned) for as long as I can remember had that feature except the latest 07 mustang but hey its not an car with alot of features.. its just cool and fast...

my moms car however.. has automatic high beams.. if you are in a dark area it automaticly turns the high beams on... the fraction of a second it notices another car on the road (be it a break light or head light but not a street light, or reflector) it turns them off.. pretty mac like if you ask me.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
    Every care I have ever owned (or my parents have owned) for as long as I can remember had that feature
    odd. are you sure they just weren't the timed-off variety? you're saying they all just shut off immediately when you turned off the ignition? what kinds of cars were they?

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    I'm lost, what's the mac tie-in on these examples? I'm guessing you're referring to the lighted keyboard. Similar, but I doubt the maker was inspired directly by an Apple product. I'm pretty sure many cars did have the functionality of headlights going off when the key was turned for some time now; I'm sure it would be much easier to simply make the lights come off instantly. But I think many people like the time-delay because it offers them light to get where their going in the dark. Also good for security reasons. If they could make a switch option between time-delay and instant, that would be great.

Sensor technology can make so many things more convenient and user friendly, but their not widely used. My Mazda has automatic climate control where I set the temp and the car keeps it. Simple enough, but the cool thing is that it has a sunlight sensor on the dash, so if sunlight is beaming down on the car, the climate control system takes that into account. Very nice.

I wonder when the "turning headlights" will become more standard. I think that's a great feature people would instantly love.

the tie in is just doing things a different way than "the norm", and that it seems to really make sense.

my tie in is just that you don't really see parking and headlights/foglights tied directly to the ignition. normally you get the chime or you get the delay (though you can set a short delay). the added parking light switch that is not tied to the ignition is a nice bonus.

Specs:
    Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    odd. are you sure they just weren't the timed-off variety? you're saying they all just shut off immediately when you turned off the ignition? what kinds of cars were they?
    Every car I've owned shuts off the headlights when you turn off the ignition. VWs, Chevys, BMWs, Mercedesseses.

Also, I don't see how this is "mac-like" behavior. Windows shuts the off the computer and the screen since about 98 (W95 still had the "It's now safe to turn off the computer" screen)

Are you a native of Oregon, per chance?
    I has a signijer.

Specs:
    15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs
    When I got my Westinghouse HDTV, I was surprised that when you plug in a new source (HDMI DVD Player for example) it automatically switches sources to the newest input.

I thought this was pretty Mac-like...
    I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
    They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
    I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.

Specs:
    macbook
    Every care I have ever owned (or my parents have owned) for as long as I can remember had that feature except the latest 07 mustang but hey its not an car with alot of features.. its just cool and fast...

my moms car however.. has automatic high beams.. if you are in a dark area it automaticly turns the high beams on... the fraction of a second it notices another car on the road (be it a break light or head light but not a street light, or reflector) it turns them off.. pretty mac like if you ask me.
    that's pretty cool. One thing I noticed about cars in Japan, is that if you're sitting in traffic with the headlights on, they'll turn themselves off if the car is stationary for a set period, and automatically come on again as soon as the car moves. Probably not unique to Japan, but it's something I've never seen in Aus. That just reminds me of the monitor dimming itself or going to sleep if idle.

Also on the topic of cars, I recall a concept car (Toyota I believe) recording your personal settings (seat and mirror adjustments, radio station etc.) - much like preferences or user switching for mac.

Similar to those high-beams sensing the light, my old mobile senses the light like that, and will turn the keypad backlight on. Pretty nifty for a 3 year old phone. I believe the macbook pro keyboard lights work like that, right?

I also now have an external HD that actually WORKS. That's VERY mac-like heheheh

The Nintendo Wii menus remind me of OS X, and the simplicity of configuring internet settings as well. Just left everything to auto configure and it was up in no time.

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
    that's pretty cool. One thing I noticed about cars in Japan, is that if you're sitting in traffic with the headlights on, they'll turn themselves off if the car is stationary for a set period, and automatically come on again as soon as the car moves.
    I rented a Renault a few years ago in the UK, and I didn't have to do anything! The lights came on when it was dark, went off when I got out, etc. The wipers would even start when the windscreen got wet and regulate speed as the rain got faster. Marvellous.

Going back to a 19 year old Volkswagen was a pain, I tell you!

Specs:
    2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd
    Okay, I just tried it on a mercedes c class, and it does not switch the lights off, neither does a honda or a bmw - it only turns the main beam off as do most cars

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by glyndav View Post
    Okay, I just tried it on a mercedes c class, and it does not switch the lights off, neither does a honda or a bmw - it only turns the main beam off as do most cars
    BMW 7 series = yes
    BMW 5 series = yes
    Lincoln Navigator = yes
    Mercedes S class = yes
    Mercedes G class = yes

Ford Mustang = No
    BMW 3 series = No
    Mercedes C class = (as you stated) no

only cars I was able to get access to...
    My Website
    Blog

Specs:
    MacBook Pro
    This thread stayed on topic well...

Specs:
    oh yes it did... we are still kinda talking about mac like functions, but now we are discussing where we can find certain ones that have been mentioned.
    My Website
    Blog

Specs:
    2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd
    Powerbook, lol. OK, I stand corrected. I can't believe you found all that out to be honest!

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    BMW 7 series = yes
    BMW 5 series = yes
    Lincoln Navigator = yes
    Mercedes S class = yes
    Mercedes G class = yes

Ford Mustang = No
    BMW 3 series = No
    Mercedes C class = (as you stated) no

only cars I was able to get access to...
    VW Beetle ('84) = no

Glad to be of assistance!

I find Sony Ericsson's recent phone UI is fairly Mac-like...
    Common tasks are easy to find and you can constantly find subtle tricks and shortcuts that make things really easy.

Thread Information