New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

People who are banned

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Lets be honest, piracy is all over the net and people talking about it.

Why ban someone for asking a question about something they shouldn't? (MacNewbie in the other thread for instance)

Surely deleting the thread and emailing or PMing the person telling them that if they ask about it again will result in a permanent banning?

Just my two penneth anyway...
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

If you're stupid enough to post "where can I steal xxx software" threads you deserve banning for being an idiot as much as being a pirate IMO!!
QUOTE Thanks
Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

What they choose to do is up to them, I just don't think a permanent banning is justified.

A first and final warning would suffice IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The rules say no talk of illegal activities when you sign up, so by breaking that you've nothing to complain about if you're booted off.

Harsh, but fair.
QUOTE Thanks
HST_Gonzo

I'd agree with Alexis here, that's just asking for it.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

This is a fine line. On most forums, some talk of this sort of thing is allowed to one extent or another. This one doesn't allow any, so what? Their forum, their rules.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

This happens on virtually every forum... someone gets banned for asking where they can download Logic Pro for free and either gets banned or someone who answers gets it.

Then there is a huge moral outcry about freedom of speech, blah blah and how the mods are too heavy handed etc. What bothers me is that people think downloading software illegally is acceptable. In fact, people think it's 'cool'.

I'm more than happy to take the negative rep on the chin for saying this, but people who steal software are scum. They try and dress it up in pseudo revolutionary or anti-establishment language like it's some big attack on the corps, but the the same people who download Office 2003 or cracked versions of Tiger, would probably feel very differently if it was them on the receiving end of theft.

Also, there is no excuse these days. You hate microsoft? Don't want them getting your hard earned allowance? Well don't download Office from haX0rZ.com... use OpenOffice or NeoOffice or any number of shareware apps that can do almost everything the professional aps can do anyway.

[/end rant]

:bomb:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

"...cracked versions of Tiger"?????

I can't say that I disagree, although I have done such things in the past I find myself more and more willing to pay for the software I use. This is particularly true of shareware or SW from small developers who depend on that money to keep making good Apps for the Mac.

Now music, that's a different story....

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
"...cracked versions of Tiger"?????

I can't say that I disagree, although I have done such things in the past I find myself more and more willing to pay for the software I use. This is particularly true of shareware or SW from small developers who depend on that money to keep making good Apps for the Mac.
Same here. I forked out for Fetch just recently (a really simple and easy to use FTP app) - $25 although I could keep using it for free if I put up with a 45 second delay every time I launched it.

Quote:
Now music, that's a different story....
I'm curious to know your reasons. :black:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

To be honest, I can't really explain it. I'm willing to pay for software and regularly buy DVDs (I don't download movies, to many formats to deal with), but Music just seems different, although I know that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I don't feel remotely guilty about it. I buy a limited number of CDs, generally only my favorite artists, but that is about it. That being said, I don't use P2P or torrents either and I do buy music off of iTunes and e-Music as well.

I think this line of discussion has gone about as far as it can on this forum. PM me if you want to talk about it more.

QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Lets be honest, piracy is all over the net and people talking about it.

Why ban someone for asking a question about something they shouldn't? (MacNewbie in the other thread for instance)

Surely deleting the thread and emailing or PMing the person telling them that if they ask about it again will result in a permanent banning?

Just my two penneth anyway...
its very simple.. if you choose to break the rules you need to deal with the aftermath of your choice.. if you do not want to follow the rules then don't agree to them. when you post a message you have aggred to the rules in my opinion.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Same here. I forked out for Fetch just recently (a really simple and easy to use FTP app) - $25 although I could keep using it for free if I put up with a 45 second delay every time I launched it.
I did the same thing with Transmit FTP for OSX. Tried it for a while, loved it and paid for it. Never regretted it either. I am glad a lot of the small developers let you try it first before you pay as that way you can be sure it's what you need/want before buying.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

I've never stolen a single piece of software. I even shelled out for WinXP SP2 when I could very easily have "borrowed" a free copy from a relative's business site license. It was very hard to hand over $100+ for another copy of an operating system when I have two or three permanently retired computers in my house with WinXP SP2 on them ...

Having said that, I don't see why an instant permanent ban is appropriate for someone new to the forum. It's the Mod's sandbox and they can certainly make any rules they want, of course. But it seems to me that warning the guy (publicly and in PM) and locking the thread with a message that such behavior is unacceptable would have a greater long-term benefit than banning.

It's all well and good to say "it's in the rules" but come on ... do you really think everyone who signs on reads all of those rules (or remembers them all)? And even if you think it's a forum member's responsibilty to remember every rule, is banning the best punishment for an infraction?

Have you memorized your country, state/province, and city's criminal codes? And do you think capital punishment is the appropriate penalty for every violation?

Just my $0.02. I think Mac-Forums is a fantastic, friendly, helpful community and I'm glad that I can participate and benefit from all the people here.

Stay safe!
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I'm curious to know your reasons. :black:
Now there is a double standard. Weak!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
I've never stolen a single piece of software. I even shelled out for WinXP SP2 when I could very easily have "borrowed" a free copy from a relative's business site license. It was very hard to hand over $100+ for another copy of an operating system when I have two or three permanently retired computers in my house with WinXP SP2 on them ...
I thought MS's licensing allowed you to re-use a license as long as the previous copy was removed from the old machine.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help burning bin/cue file with toast | Western bar fights? »