New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How do u take a screen shot in mac osx 10.4 tiger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Krash

Krash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G4, 14.1,768mb,1.2ghz,60 gig, cdrw/dvd slot drive,extreme card

hey everyone, i want to take a screen shot of my desktop so i can send it to my MACLESS friend so he can see what he is missing, I figured out how to make adium look like my contacts are just on my desktop and won't move so i don't have to shrink it it just stays.. Let me know how to take a screen shot please..

My very 2nd mac.... Ibook G4 14.1 inch screen 1.2ghz processor... I don't want to ever go back to PC...
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

For a full screenshot, you do this keyboard shortcut:

Command (or Apple key) + Shift + 3
QUOTE Thanks
Krash

kool it worked, but the only problem is I don't have a photo editing program that i can turn it into a jpg or resize it... Oh well..

My very 2nd mac.... Ibook G4 14.1 inch screen 1.2ghz processor... I don't want to ever go back to PC...
QUOTE Thanks
wafflewoman

wafflewoman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" G5, 2gHz, 1gb RAM, 250gb HD; iPod Touch 8gb

Use Imagewell. It's free...and very easy to convert to jpg.

http://www.xtralean.com/IWOverview.html
QUOTE Thanks
imacmatt09

imacmatt09 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

if you download onxy you can change it to ther jpeg format. also if you open it in preview you can select the part of the image you want and go to edit>copy then file>new from clipboard
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Go Save As in Preview and change it to whatever you want. .JPG is on the list.
QUOTE Thanks
Krash

wow everyone thanks.. figured it out thanks again everyone, I will try that photo editing software u recommended waffle woman.. I will post some screen shots when i get a min... hope u like em,, please let me know, i am still working on how to change the other programs i use..

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yep, Preview comes with Mac OS X. So you can just use Preview like dtravis7 says. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

BTW, if you want to take a user-defined screenshot (with crosshairs) you simply hold down the Command (or Apple key) + Shift + 4.

For extra pizzaz/eye candy, you can hold down the Command (or Apple key) + Shift + Spacebar + 4. This will take a screenshot of your frontmost window: but you'll get your very own camera to take your snapshot!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Often forgot screenshot method...

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Oops! Didn't see that thread at all.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Good things come to those who search! :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
Krash

i am so lazy i don't search, i figure if it were crowding they would start deleting some posts lol...

QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

To capture the screenshot in a different format you can follow the following guideline.

1)Open the Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.App)
2)Type screencapture -i <filename>.<format> (eg. screencapture -i image1.jpg) and hit enter.
3) Now the cursor should turn in to a crosshair(+). Select the area you want to capture

That should be it.
QUOTE Thanks
Krash

thanks NOVICE, I will check that out as well.. That is the more show off way, people that see that won't know what is going on, can u change the screencapture -i image.jpg to screenshot.jpg? Or any other file name?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ermys? | Opportunities for Mac Techs »